CCI caps

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Fly

CCI caps

Post by Fly »

Well I know the new CCI musket caps are not as hot as the old 6 wings.It hard to find anything else here.
Would drilling the nipple out a small amount aid in ignition? :D

Fly
snapcap14

Re: CCI caps

Post by snapcap14 »

do not drill the nipple you will not be happy w the results at all. you will lose accuracy. go w the wingless caps RWS I think. back creek gun shop has them.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
cantom

Post by cantom »

Looks like I have a new to me 1859 Shiloh (Farmingdale) Carbine inbound... 8)

I had very slow ignition with my previous 1863. I'd really like to have instant ignition if such a thing is possible.

Are hotter caps the answer? And if so, what brand?
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

almost possible. rember the flash channel from nipple port is 1" long w 2 90 deg turns. Like I said mine likes the wingless. toy can alos take to charle hahn e can do a block conversion. he is on this site so look him up.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
cantom

Post by cantom »

What is involved with a block conversion?
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

check charlies web site. and sheach here several things he dose. to them. i thing is to make the block 1 pcs drills a hole streight from the nipple to the breach.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Don't drill the nipple. Yah, I know the older CCI caps were great, especially 'cuz I use triple seven in my 1863. I've used a couple grains of "fine black" just ahead of the 777 and it took care of the "hang fire ?". Hopefully, hotter caps, "musket caps" will be back again soon. Take care, Jay
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Yes, Charlie Hahn can and will help you solve your problem, he solved mine completely. Jay
Fly

Post by Fly »

Well I took this rifle out today for the first time shooting CCI caps.It shot very well.I guest I have been
reading two many forms.There was some lag time, but not as bad as a flintlock.Heck I have shot flintlocks
since the late 1970's.

That did not bother me one bit.I'm sure these guns did that in the day.If you can't put up with that get
a AR 15.
FlyJMOHOP :D
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

I have been reading stuff about CCI too and that there are the CCI musket (top hat) caps for reneactors and, #10,s & #11's and #11M which are hotter. In the past I used remmington, winchester, RWS/Navy arms and some real old stuff I had hanging around and never had a misfire. A local gun shop has tons of CCI caps at around $5-$6.00/tin. Not sure if the stuff I have read is a big deal or not. Never had a problem with CCI in the past but I don't know enough about the reneactor caps though.
Rob
aka "borderdogs"