1863 paper cutter Sharps question?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Fly

1863 paper cutter Sharps question?

Post by Fly »

How many grains of 2FFG powder is recommend? I have heard any were from 39 GR to over a 100 Gr in a 1863 Sharps.
Now somebody is WRONG & somebody is wright!PLEACE comment.

Just want to know Fly
lastchip

Re: 1863 paper cutter Sharps question?

Post by lastchip »

I asked shiloh what the recommend in their 54 cal 63s, they said 50-55 grs of fffg is what makes it go bang the best. But it would seem, shooting black powder is like cooking, every chief has a different recipe for the same dish.
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

how in the *ell do you get 100gr. of black powder into a 1863 chamber??? Use a bore ridding paper patch bullet and shove it half way down the barrel? If you use 39 gr. load what filler do you use to prevent detonation. Would a double load of powder ruin the rifle or just the shooters shoulder? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Steve
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
Fly

Post by Fly »

Steve crawford wrote:how in the *ell do you get 100gr. of black powder into a 1863 chamber??? Use a bore ridding paper patch bullet and shove it half way down the barrel? If you use 39 gr. load what filler do you use to prevent detonation. Would a double load of powder ruin the rifle or just the shooters shoulder? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Steve
Pop I don't know.I ask a question.I never owned a Sharps till two days ago.The only info I can get is off the net & I have found alot of bad info.
That is why I ask on this great site.Thats all.

Fly :D
SC45-70

Post by SC45-70 »

Some of the 1863 54 cal. sporting rifles will use 100 grains of powder depending on the bullet used!

SC45-70
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

Pop I don't know.I ask a question.I never owned a Sharps till two days ago.The only info I can get is off the net & I have found alot of bad info.
That is why I ask on this great site.Thats all.

Maybe a bad choice of words. I have a Pedersoli Sharps 1874 in 45/120. I can load About 112 to 115 gr. of FFG Goex witha 535 Lyman postel. If you can get 100 gr. in a 63 and shoot it several times in a row, you are a much better man than I am. My rifle weight is Just over 15 lbs. and it will move you back a lot. The 63 Sharps might weigh about 2/3 rds of that. You also know by now that any airspace in the chamber may cause damage to the rifle. That is why I asked about filler with light loads. There is a lot to learn about these rifles. They are a lot of fun when you start to figure them out. Some times we aren't as easy on new shooters as we should be. Good luck with your new rifle and have fun.

..................Pop Crawford. :P :P :P
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I shoot 38 of 2ffg in mine. 1 ragged hole at 50 years. I use charlies tubes. and no filler put a disc to hold the powder back. Mine will hold 65 grn. in charkies tubes. not sure what it will hold loose powder. You do not want to use 3fffg it will erode the gas check faster than 2ffg. But then again Im shooting over 1000 rounds a year thru mine. Most of the other N-SSA guy will tell you the same. I have tried 3fffg mine likes 44 of that. Oh yea w a 63 air space is no problem.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Chamber capacities differ with various "Sharps, both original and Shiloh" 1863 models. I have an early Farmingdale '63 sporter in 54 caliber. I believe this one will hold over 100 grains of powder. Don't think I'd want to try this load. I've settled on 70 grains of black, with a 1 3/4" "Charlie Hahn" tube and a Brooks Ringtail bullet (about 460 grs.) of Charlies design. This particular rifle will take a 2" Charlie tube, easily. I've only played around to about 125 yards with this load, an easy 2" 5 shot group when I do my part. Remember, the only '63 we use is a "Shiloh", none of this imported crap floating around! Another point, I've mentioned before, in the shooter to shooter section of the forum, we've found out through experience, that all original Sharps and Shiloh rifles parts will interchange, sometimes with a bit of "tweaking" with both the '63 & '74 models. A godsend for getting an original back up to par. Stick with the "Shiloh", you'll never go wrong. Jay
C.L. Hiatt II

Post by C.L. Hiatt II »

Under the for what its worth column. I picked up a Farmingdale 1863 Military .54 caliber a year or so ago, Then found a Shiloh 1863 sporter .50 Last Fall. I use rolled paper cartridges in both.
.54 load is 82 or 83 grains of Goex or KIK FFg respsectively, or 75 gr. KIK 1&1/2 Fg. Bullet is NEI ringtail Sharps @ 468 gr. with the alloy I have.
.50 has 2 loads. one is a GG from Lyman # 515141 mold. 90-92 gr. GOEX or KIK FFg. other load (& one I shoot the most) is a 375 gr Ringtail from Moose Molds. 95 gr GOEX or KIK FFg.
Of course this info is from a FNG with a history of employment as a sneaky & unethical type shooter so probably is somewhat suspect. :D
"It is better to die a free man, weapon in hand, than to live life as a coward and a slave"
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

C.L. Hiatt II, Seems you lucked out with your '63's. I would have liked to grab a .50, but never found one. Don't regret the '54 one bit now, as it seems things are made easier for the .54. A long time ago, I found a sweet, beauty of a '63, cal.52, long before this "internet", could never find a mould for it and traded it off, a big mistake. I've also had good luck with my .54 Shiloh with a "Rapine" Christmas tree ringtail, just about the same weight as the others. I've been using 70 grains of FFFG black, or, 45 grains of FFFG Triple Seven with good luck. This load is about as much as this old shoulder can stand, for more than a few shots. Also, I should mention, I use a Baldwin tang sight along with a very early Shiloh "globe and post " front sight. Much enjoyment. Take care, Jay
AussiePete

Post by AussiePete »

I'm in the same boat, I own and shoot Enfield P53, Snider and Henry Martini rifles quite successfully. I have, about a month ago, ordered a Shiloh Sharps .50 Percussion Sporting Rifle. There seems to be little information on these beasts available. Having said that I will experiment extensively. :cry: :? If there is more I'll find it,eventually ......
I have trolled the Internet and gleaned some information and tempered it the knowledge already learnt over the past 30 years. This has enabled me to sort the wheat from the chaff somewhat. :roll:
So my hunt for information goes on. :)
lastchip

Post by lastchip »

lastchip wrote:I asked shiloh what the recommend in their 54 cal 63s, they said 50-55 grs of fffg is what makes it go bang the best. But it would seem, shooting black powder is like cooking, every chief has a different recipe for the same dish.
Ugh, meant to say ffg, just noticed that typing mistake now
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

My 1863 is being created now. Among things I specified is chamber capacity. Apparently, were a buyer of a new 1863 may identify - within broad limits - how much powder he intends to shoot.

Hope this helps.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
Kaeto1

Post by Kaeto1 »

An IAB 1863 Sharps can hold up to 110 grains of FFG.
Forward The Dinocrome!