smaller than a .50?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
borderdogs

smaller than a .50?

Post by borderdogs »

Hi Guys,
Hey I saw this by Bill Goodman:

"Try a sporter- Shiloh will make other calibers than .50 or .54. Of the two, I do like the .50. Put MVA sights on it and it will shoot as well as a cartridge model."

Is this true if so this could be really cool. I have owned all sorts of original Sharps rifles over the years but one I really liked a lot was a 1853 Slant Breach .44 that had a full octagonal barrel, tang sight, pewter tip (different from what Shiloh does), patch box, and had an excellent bore. Boy could that rifle shoot I typically shot it at 100 yards and could get good groups. I liked it so much that when I saw another like it I purchased it on the spot. That rifle's bore wasn't as good and the first one I had but shot pretty well too. I sold all those antiques years ago when I was buying our first house. But since then I always thought I would try to find another like it but now if Shiloh makes that 44 caliber in a 63 Sporter............now that would be cool!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
Lead Head

Re: smaller than a .50?

Post by Lead Head »

I ordered a '63 sporter in .38 cal. in Oct 2010 with AA wood finish and patchbox with bone charcoal metal finish, should be here any month now :!:
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

LH,
Thanks for the reply. So how long is the barrel you ordered? What there any special consideration or cost to having a .38 made?
Thanks,
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
Lead Head

Post by Lead Head »

borderdogs wrote:LH,
Thanks for the reply. So how long is the barrel you ordered? What there any special consideration or cost to having a .38 made?
Thanks,
Rob
I ordered mine with the standard weight barrel at 26"long, no extra cost as far as my .38, I talked to Kirk before ordering. I would talk to Kirk to get up to date info on calibres they will do, mine is like the .38 that Bill Goodman wrote about. Mine has taken a longer time to build as I was told the extra finish like AA takes longer, and I wanted a custom fore end on mine.
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Right, the Hartford 45-90 I ordered took a year to get I ordered it from Bill Goodman too. That rifle had a 26" heavy half round, ghost rings, semi-fancy, select, AA finish & polished barrel. Boy what I nice looking rifle and even with the heavy barrel the 26" barrel makes it handy similar to a Sharps carbine.

I would call Kirk first but I would probably order it through BIll again I have purchased four rifles through him and he is top notch to deal with. When the time comes I without question would order the semi, select, AA finish.
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
Lead Head

Post by Lead Head »

borderdogs,

I'll post up pictures when I receive it, I'm hoping it comes within a month or two. It's already been 2½ years since I ordered it :roll:

It was ordered with military butt plate with patchbox with bone charcoal case hardened metal finish, AA wood finish on selected dark wood. Also an 1853 style fore end and matte barrel finish, semi buck horn and blade barrel sights, nothing fancy. Just a whitetail woods rifle in .38 cal.
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Sure that would be great I'd love to see your rifle. I don't know how to post pictures I consider myself a computer moron.

Did you order that direct from Shiloh or from Bill Goodman? You know when I had that 53 sport rifle in .44 I shot both conical and round balls out of it and I really liked shooting round balls. I'd buy Speer round balls that I could shoot in a orignal Remington 1858 and in that Sharps. I also nitrated my own paper but prefered just loose powder. Back then I made my own lube from Crisco and bees wax and made a die of sorts out of aluminum plate 1/8" thick. The die or mould were a series of holes that I would lay on a piece of wax paper & pour the lube into and punch out later when they cooled. Those 1/8" thick lube wads I would drop those behind the bullet before I dropped the powder. I never used a card wad when I shot like that and unless it got real hot the lube disks didn't melt. It was fun shooting & I am surprised that more people don't shoot precussion Sharps.
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
Lead Head

Post by Lead Head »

Borderdogs, I will be offline for awhile, (harvest time) so If I do not reply to questions, I'm not being rude :wink:

I ordered my '63 direct from Shiloh, talked to Kirk on the phone first about doing the .38 cal. I just wanted to know if they would do one in .38 before I ordered mine.

I have the Black Powder Cartridge News #69 and in that magazine edition is Bill Goodman's article about his .38 and .50 cal. '63 rifles, lots of good info.

This will be my last post for awhile until I get my '63, then i will get my oldest son to load up pictures of my rifle, I'm computer challenged too!

Lead Head
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Lead Head,
Did you ever get your 63? I am still waiting for mine but I did purchase a 63 Sporter from Bill Goodman in .54. I would rather have a smaller caliber than that but it is a nice rifle. I have to get a mold for it and some top hat musket caps which are hard to find but I am looking forward to shooting it.

If you have gotten the rifle and happen to have some pictures of it I would love to see them.

Rob
aka "borderdogs"