Longest shot with a percussion Shiloh Sharps

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
borderdogs

Longest shot with a percussion Shiloh Sharps

Post by borderdogs »

Hi Guys,
How many out there have shot their 1863 Shiloh over 100 yards? What kind of groups at what range? I have never owned a percussion Shiloh but I am thinking on it.

I have owned a lot of different percussion Sharps in the past, Sport rifle 1853's, 1859 Military carbines and rifles but never really shot them over 100 yards. I found that the 1853 and 1859 rifles were very accurate and I made some great shots with them although I didn't do a lot of paper punching. I'd be interested in hearing from folks who have have shot their rifles over 100 yards and hearing about what kind of loads they were using.

Thanks,
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
holdover

Re: Longest shot with a percussion Shiloh Sharps

Post by holdover »

I shoot my 3 band 1863 in a 200yd ofhand competition at NSSA,(we shoot the 50yd pistol target best 5 out of 7) it does very good... from a bench it does 2.5" groups at 200 with a rapine ringtail, 64 gr swiss FFFG and a charlie Haun tube. It will hit a 20'' gong @500yds more often than not from a bench. My shiloh carbine is match accurate to 100yds. Fine firearms made with pride in their workmanship.. BTW the 1863 rifle has well over 3K rounds through it, the carbine 10K+
borderdogs

Re: Longest shot with a percussion Shiloh Sharps

Post by borderdogs »

Thanks Holdover,
Nice to know there are some out there that shoot these cap lock Sharps over 100 yards. Once I figure out what I am going to order I might try to convince Kirk to build me a 1863 Sporter in .44 or maybe a .38. I talked to Bill Goodman who said to go with a .45 since there are tons of moulds to use but I would like to mirror a 1853 I once had that was a .44. In Bill's article in BPCN he got decent groups at 100 yards.
Rob
aka "borderdogs"