1863 Shiloh Sharps Sporting rifle in .38 caliber

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
borderdogs

1863 Shiloh Sharps Sporting rifle in .38 caliber

Post by borderdogs »

Hi Guys,
I have been discussing ordering a .38 caliber Sporting rifle with Bill Goodman who has one and actually wrote an article on 63's in BPCR magazine. I have been wanting a smaller caliber rifle, smaller than a .50 or even a .45 something like the .44 Slant breech 1853 I had many years ago. There are some advantages to percussion Sharps one is the ease of shooting even without loaded cartridges. I wanted a smaller caliber not only for small game but to possibly use it as a varmit rifle. Anyone else ever interested in smaller caliber Sharps? Anyone out there have one?
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
bobw

Re: 1863 Shiloh Sharps Sporting rifle in .38 caliber

Post by bobw »

Will they make one or do you have to get a bulk amt put together?
bobw
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Hi Bobw,
Yes they will,I actually put an order together through Bill Goodman. I thought long & hard about caliber I knew I definately wanted something smaller than .45 and was leaning toward a .44 something along the lines of the 1853 I had years ago. But in a few long discussions with Bill and his experince with his .38 I decided that was what it would be.

What I ordered was a 1863 Hartford, 28" standard weight polished barrel, .38 caliber with a 70 grain chamber, semi fancy select wood, AA finish, semi buck & blade front sight, and cresent butt plate.........it should be a looker. In a .38 should be good for small game & varmits and good enough for eastern whitetail. I toyed with possibly a .36 there were 53's in that caliber but went with the .38.

There are not many 63 Shilohs out there in 38 and from what Bill told me he thought he was probably the first and only one to order one.

Rob
aka "borderdogs"
wireman

Post by wireman »

I too have been wanting a 63 sharps in a smaller cal. I have been hunting with a 54 cal. & just don't see the need for such a cal. for hunting around here or just shooting that i do .
I have been reading this forum for some time & still have much to learn .I went to a silhoutte match to see what that was all about & met some nice folks that have been very helpful .
I too put a lot of thought into what would best for me & hope I'm thinking right . figured the only way to know is to order one . The Shiloh I ordered ,63 sporter #1, 28in half octagon , 40 cal. Why 40 cal. ? just my opinion , it seems to be a nice middle of the road cal. with a good variety of bullets to work with .
I would like to hear how it's working out with others that are shooting 63's in smaller than 50cal.