the 1863 Support section is as dead as Julius Caesar

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
borderdogs

the 1863 Support section is as dead as Julius Caesar

Post by borderdogs »

Sorry to say that but it seems there is little interest in shooting 1863 Shiloh's. I know most of the interest in Sharps are the 74's and while I can appreciate that (& own 5 myself) I don't really understand why there is so little interest on the forum. With Shiloh soon to be producing 1877's I think interest in the 63's will wane even more.

Although I have never owned a Shiloh Sharps 1863 I have owned at least 8-10 original percussion Sharps over the years, miltary & civilian. I recently ordered an 1863 Shiloh through Bill Goodman and he & I had a number of conversations about percussion Sharps. Both he and I have an interest in lighter caliber rifles he ordered a new percussion 63 at the same time I ordered mine. But from what he told me his will be a full stock Gemmer from a stock that was left over from when Shiloh produced Gemmers.

I sure hope Shiloh doesn't drop the 63's and I only speculate that they would. But if the 77's are even equal to the popularity of the 74's I wouldn't be surprised.
Respectfully,
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
Naphtali

Re: the 1863 Support section is as dead as Julius Caesar

Post by Naphtali »

This forum may just be "resting its eyes" until my 1863 Sporting Rifle, being created in the current Shiloh batch, is delivered. While nearly all newly created Shiloh Sharps side hammer rifles are cartridge guns, consider the fun they'll not have - and rejoice in your choice.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
BillyDixon

Post by BillyDixon »

I've been thinking about this also. Wouldn't it be cool to shoot at a silhouette match. I know there brass cases. But you could roll your own and shoot. Something to thank about. 8)
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

BD,
The whole advantage to shooting percussion is that you don't need cases take a powder flask, some greased bullets, & caps. I like to reload but if you don't have to have any premade rounds just a target. When I shot percussion Sharps in the past I made my own nitrated paper and rolled my own rounds. But many times I just took the list above and when off to shoot.

Rob
aka "borderdogs"
cjensen

Post by cjensen »

I for one have gleaned a lot of information from this forum. While layed up for my knee replacement I was re-reading back issues of the BPCR magazine and ran across Bill Goodman's article on shooting Shiloh 1863's. I figured an 1863 Sporter in 45 cal would be a perfect way to shot up all my stray odd and end 45 cal bullets and culls from weight sorting. My local range only goes out to 200 yards so the small lots odd ball bullets will provide great trigger practice. A quick call to Bill and an 1863 No.1 Sporter heavy half 45 cal, with aa finish, metal shotgun butt and pewter tip is on the floor. I have rounded up 5000 RWS musket caps, 50 pounds of Swiss, 400 pounds of lead 20 pounds of tin, 1000 pipe cleaners, boxes of lens cleaning paper and a Baldwin LR sight. All I need is a front site, some ear wax for bullet lube and some EP grease and I should be good to go. The Baldwin may be overkill as my range distance for this rifle will be a constant and not that much wind in Wisconsin. Come on Santa, I promise not to shot my eye out.
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

cjensen,
Good for you! I can't say that I am that prepared but I have 25lbs of Goex and around 500 musket caps. I use SPG lube gotten away from the mess I use to make using a concotion of Crisco, bees wax, etc. I beleive mine is on the production floor as well, we should post pictures and compare notes.

The one I ordered is in .38 caliber, Hartford, AA finish, Semi fancy, pack harded, polished barrel, crescent butt, with standard open sights. Might consider a MVA Sporting sight #134.
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Cjensen,
Bill Goodman's article is a good primer for 1863 percussion Shiloh Sharps it influenced me on the .38 I ordered. It also reminded me of the fun I had all those years ago with the original percussion Sharps rifles I had. Back then I usually kept my shooting to 100 yards or so but I don't think there is any reason you couldn't shoot farther than that if you had the distance available. The one I ordered has a 70 grain chamber but you could order a larger one. For the 38 cal 70 seemed to be right. But with a 45 you could go larger, cjensen, did you talk to Bill about that when you ordered your rifle?
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
cjensen

Post by cjensen »

Rob, Sure did. Had a good talk with Bill. I decided on a 70 grain chamber. My goal would be to loose fill. I know some people have problems with that method. I'll be shooting off sticks, sitting on a 5 gallon buket. Don't plan on shooting in foul weather. Typicaly it's Sunday mornings and there is little wind. Either way I'll be breach seating the bullet into the chamber with a dowel rod. My rifle went on the floor in August. I don't have all the bells and whistles so I'm thinking Christmas.
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

cjensen,
Yup, that is how I plan to shoot mine too. The 1853 Slant breech Sharps I had years ago I shot a lot of round balls out of it. Within 100 yards it was pretty accurate and easy to shoot. I also shot conicals as well.

I tend to shoot over the winter I am lucky enough I can shoot on my own property. With the trees and all I am limited to 100 yards or a little more but it works out okay. I'd have to call Shiloh to see when mine went into production I ordered it in July. I'd bet it would be sometime in Nov/Dec.

When you get yours post some pictures I will do the same when I get mine.
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
cjensen

Post by cjensen »

Well, looks like the 1863 will not make to my home this year.
Thought there was a good chance of getting it by Christmas.
Has not got much above zero degrees lately and they say next week will be worse, so I guess it's not a big deal.
To everyone have a safe and happy New Year.
Carl
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Carl,
Well Happy New Year to you too. Not sure when mine is coming either probably 2014! When I get mine I will try to post some pictures of it, you do the same when you get yours okay? The 1863 Shilohs are going to be benched for a while so ours might be some of the last ones produced before they stop production.
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
AussiePete

Post by AussiePete »

Well I for one will have fun shooting my Shiloh 1863 Sporter when it arrives here in Australia. Roll your own ammunition greatly appeals to me. When it arrives I'll keep you informed of my adventures in taming the brute and also post some pictures.
Happy and safe New Year to you all.
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Aussie Pete,
What caliber is yours going to be? Give us some of the details of what you ordered? How difficult is it to get an inported rifle into Australia? I will look forward to seeing yours in photo form when you get it.
All the best,
Rob
aka "borderdogs"