1863 newbie and gas seal question

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
filmhog

1863 newbie and gas seal question

Post by filmhog »

I have a couple of Shiloh cartridge rifles (Montana Roughrider and long range ezpress) but I recently looked at a 1863 military 3 band.54 in a store and it really intrigued me. I'm interested in buying it and trying this type of rifle. Sorry for the newb questions, but, When I opened the rifle it looked like my 74. I did not see a gas seal?? per se. Is this missing or is it on the breech block? Even worse, I have no idea how to roll cartridges for this rifle or what to use. Is there a guide here that tells me step by step what bullets to use and how to roll a cartridge? This rifle is in the store at $950 and in great shape. I know the quality of these guns from owning 1874's so figure this has the value even though they are not on the website anymore. Did they stop doing percussion rifles? Thanks for any help in starting this endeavor.
borderdogs

Re: 1863 newbie and gas seal question

Post by borderdogs »

Hi filmhog,
Welcome. As far as I know they are still on the website and they are still making them in fact I am waiting for one right now. If I were you and you were serious about buying that rifle I would see if you could get the serial number off it. Then give Shiloh a call and see what they say about the rifle. I have done that when I purchased used ones before the most recent purchase I called about I found out that the original as purchased rifle had a 34" hvy octagonal barrel and was purchased by a guy on the west coast back in 1994. The rifle I had I purchased from a big game hunting guide who used it as a saddle rifle and it had a 26" barrel.

The other thing is don't worry about rolling cartridges if you are set on using them you can use Hahn's. Better yet just shoot loose powder loads. Get yourself a powder flask, powder measure, some greased bullets, a short bullet starter, some card wads, and percussion caps, load up and shoot.
Best of luck,
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning, Like Rob said give me a call,

Thanks

Kirk,

Merry Christmas!!
Mike Bryant

Post by Mike Bryant »

I bought a Farmingdale built 1863 Berdan .54 caliber this past Spring from a NSSA member in Maryland. It has been a learning experience to load and shoot and has been a lot of fun to shoot. I went immediately to the Charlie Hahn cardboard cartridges and a Christmas tree bullet. There is a lot of help on this website, with Shiloh in Big Timber, and a call to Mr. Hahn will speed your knowledge along. I don't think that's a bad price if it's in good shape. I paid $900 for mine and never looked back. It goes right smartly with my pair of Walker Colts and is deadly at least to 200 yards. Best of luck.