New Italian carbine

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Steve crawford

New Italian carbine

Post by Steve crawford »

Picked up a Taylor's & Co. 1863 civilian model carbine. The cheap one without the patch box. it is 54 Cal. I would like to hear from some people that shoot these things. Don't know what bullet and load of powder to put in it. I have about 1/2 of a box of Musket Caps And all the powder I need. Just need to know where to get the bullets or mold. Thanks :roll: :roll: :roll:

Steve
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
Buzzard II

Re: New Italian carbine

Post by Buzzard II »

After you slug the bore try contacting MooseMolds for a ringtail mold. They have them in .50 and .54. You may also want to contact Charlie Hahn at charliestubes for tubes and gunsmithing. Use 25-1 lead and 2F KIK powder (powderinc.)
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

Thanks Buzzard II. I have ordered 100 Ringtail bullets and some Nitrate Paper from Buffalo Arms. I will try to make my own tubs. If I can't make them I will call Charlie and order some. I almost want to tie the gun to a tree and put a string on the trigger for the first firing. I have never tried a rifle like this. I have always had a brass cartridge in the chamber. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Steve
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

Hair curler papers are a lot cheaper! Check on line.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Had a Taylor's sharps carbine once upon a time. Sent it back for failure to set off a cap then nothing but misfires and hangfires. So First I suggestion you send it to Charlie and have him rework the breach block and the chamber.
Sorry if I'm raining on your day. Maybe you will have better luck w/ it. I know shoot a Shiloh.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

snapcap14 wrote:Had a Taylor's sharps carbine once upon a time. Sent it back for failure to set off a cap then nothing but misfires and hangfires. So First I suggestion you send it to Charlie and have him rework the breach block and the chamber.
Sorry if I'm raining on your day. Maybe you will have better luck w/ it. I know shoot a Shiloh.
So far I have found that the muzzle is larger than the breach. A .543 ring tail bullet takes some force to push from the breach to the middle of the barrel. Then it gets lose at about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the muzzle. Drop a bullet in the muzzle nose first and it will be about level with the end of the barrel. I thank I will just shoot it and see what happens. :? :? :?

Steve
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

you could have it relined.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

Maybe I could have Shiloh re-barrel it and call it a Shiatiloh. :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Steve
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Liner by hoyte would be a lot cheaper. but then it still would not be half shiloh
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

do you have a contact for Mr. Hoyte? I may want to talk to him.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

no not at this time. someone else may. you can also try the N-ssa Board and ask someone there may. also check w/ Charlie Hahn
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA