54 cal. paper cartridges

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Steve crawford

54 cal. paper cartridges

Post by Steve crawford »

Just made my first 54 cal. paper cartridge. It is kinda ugly. The first tries sure were hard to get together. I finally found the wright size to make the tubes and it went a lot better then. Looks like about 60 gr. of FF black powder will be my load. Will there be a problem with the cartridge not being as big around as the chamber? I have read somewhere that you can shoot reduced loads in a 1863 rifle. I will find out tomorrow I guess. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
dances with coyotes

Re: 54 cal. paper cartridges

Post by dances with coyotes »

Cool. I have seen videos on Youtube. Maybe some day I'll get the urge to play with those. I liked that carbine.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

try between 35 and 42grn 2ffg. mine likes 38. w/ a bullet I had brooks make for me. similar to his ringtail.
I also have switched to Charlie Hahns tubes. been shooting a sharps for over 10 years been using charlies tubes for 5-6 years now stop rolling my own 2 years ago.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

I have never used Hahn's tubes but I have rolled my own before. I have tried all sorts of paper but I liked brown craft paper the best. I even nitrated my own paper (don't bother!). Over the years though I thinkI like loose powder the best. A powder flask, measure, powder and some pre lubed bullets easy! Oh, don't forget the percussion caps!
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
Michael P Nowak

Post by Michael P Nowak »

Hello All: Yes I have rolled mine using Female perm papers Without nitrate. Years ago I ask the same Question and snapcap14 answered me. His load is great with the brooks mould. I still roll but I also use Mr. Hahns tubes. By reading this forum you will get the answers that you are looking fore. Mike
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Thank. Glad the load & bullet is working for you. I'm working w another bullet too. It's a older mould no longer made. Borrowed it from a friend. Its a bagdon design wadcutter design. Works great so far w 39 of 2 ff. Moose mold has the day sign DWG. And a few samples I gave him. Promises some day he will get around to it.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
WileyCoyote

Post by WileyCoyote »

I use Brooks and Lyman bullets, Hahn tubes and both 40 and 45 grains of powder. Anything more than 45 is very tough to load due to the length of the tube. I honestly can't tell the difference between 40 and 45 grains, and the 40 grain is much easier to load, with just a smidge more room. Trust me, stop rolling the paper tubes and buy Hahn's. He'll make them exactly the length you need for your bullet and chamber depth, they're easy to use and you can buy like 500 of them for next to nothing. I would never go back to paper.
tljack

Post by tljack »

I have always just put a bullet into the chamber and filled it up with powder. Is it true that a Sharps does not require the entire chamber to be full of powder?

I have shied away from making paper bullets do to fear of harming the gun if I did not have enough powder. I am used to muzzle loaders and them must not have any space in them.