Pedersoli's barrel quality on their 1859/63?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Naphtali

Pedersoli's barrel quality on their 1859/63?

Post by Naphtali »

While I neither own, nor know anyone who owns, a Pedersoli Sharps 1859/63 rifle, I am curious about the metallurgy and overall quality of their barrels compared with the button-rifled Shiloh barrels.

Are Pedersoli's barrels of mild carbon steel alloys, similar to 1137 and 12L14 used for many muzzleloading rifle barrels, or some European chrome- or vanadium-molybdenum alloy similar to Badger's 4140 or Shiloh's 4150 used?

How well-made are the barrels in terms of configuration and precision of rifling?
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
Charlie Hahn

Re: Pedersoli's barrel quality on their 1859/63?

Post by Charlie Hahn »

I have found the barrels of Pedersoli Sharps to be of very tough material. They are defiantly not 12L14. I have not sent any chips out for chemical and physical test, but I they machine close to the 86L20 I make revolver barrels out of.

The guns mad about 20 years ago have several rifling configurations, square bottom, and radius bottom. I have had a few that have narrow lands 8 groove, correctly stamped with no evidence of reline. The current production barrels have very nicely cut and what appears to be burnished. Grove diameters are also very consistent. I believe they will last.

Charlie Hahno
Charlie Hahn