Shiloh Sharps .54-caliber "Buffalo Slug" wadcutter mold?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Naphtali

Shiloh Sharps .54-caliber "Buffalo Slug" wadcutter mold?

Post by Naphtali »

In the late 1970s, perhaps into the 80s, Shiloh Sharps offered two .54-caliber "Buffalo Slug" wadcutter or "trash can" bullet molds for their 1863 Sharps carbines (and rifles, if these were in production), the larger of the two molds dropping a [nominal] 580-grain wadcutter bullet. Does anyone know where either sample bullets or one of these larger molds can be obtained?
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
snapcap14

Re: Shiloh Sharps .54-caliber "Buffalo Slug" wadcutter mold?

Post by snapcap14 »

I believe the mold you are looking for is called the Bagdon or Bagden sharps mould (don't have the mold in front of me right now. After the designer. I had owned one at one time. I now have one I barrowed from a friend a month ago. It is no longer produced. I do know Moose moulds has a trash can mould, and at some point may or will be producing the Bagdon design. I believe my friend who also worked on the design sent the original dwg to moose. There were two different sizes of that mold. not sure what they were. both were in the 54 cal range, w 3 different band dia's. I too have been looking for one (sorry I sold it w my imported mfg. sharps). only have 100 extra made and no time left to cast due to moving. plus need to return the mold at some point. and my sharps lead mix is running low.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

I think I have a .54 caliber mold from Shiloh in 1977. Sold the rifle in 1983 so it may take me a while to locate. Give me a while...
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

I have the mold, and I have a couple of boxes of bullets sold under the Nitro brand. One design of bullet was a Minie, while the other was a solid; it looks almost as if it could be loaded either end forward. I didn't get too many of the Minie style, so I foolishly shot them, but with no way to ever reproduce them, I figured I'd enjoy them while I could. While the mold is marked Shiloh, I'm sure it's a Rapine.

I'll dig around and see if I have any of these from the one time I cast them; if I find any, you can have them.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

While I appreciate the offer, the Shiloh wadcutter mold I had no interest in was the "lighter" 420-grain. The one I seek drops a wadcutter near 600 grains.
Free_Stater wrote:I have the mold, and I have a couple of boxes of bullets sold under the Nitro brand. One design of bullet was a Minie, while the other was a solid; it looks almost as if it could be loaded either end forward. I didn't get too many of the Minie style, so I foolishly shot them, but with no way to ever reproduce them, I figured I'd enjoy them while I could. While the mold is marked Shiloh, I'm sure it's a Rapine.

I'll dig around and see if I have any of these from the one time I cast them; if I find any, you can have them.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

snapcap14 wrote:THIS IS THE ONE MOOSE HAS
http://moosemoulds.wix.com/mm2013#!trashcan-rt/c6pj
Many thanks for the link. While neither bullet weight nor lead:tin mixture is what I would specify, I intend to find out whether what I want is something they will make.