Non-standard barrel bores?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Naphtali

Non-standard barrel bores?

Post by Naphtali »

My understanding is that Shiloh has made one or two 1863s having [smaller] bores than .50-caliber, and a small number of 1852s were were made as .58-caliber cavalry carbines for the East India Company.

Has anyone had a Shiloh 1863 made with a larger bore than .58-caliber? I refer to a custom barrel rather than something Shiloh will never do? I ask because 1.25-inch traditional muzzleloading rifle barrels are routinely made in in bores as large as .72-caliber, and a "B" action would be immeasurably stronger and safer to use than any modern traditional muzzleloader.

And NO, I am not consideringf having this done. I have a muzzleloading .72-caliber rifle, and this is a challenge to shoot with conicals. But I believe that such a behemoth 1863 almost certainly has been considered - and perhaps created?
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
.22-5-40

Re: Non-standard barrel bores?

Post by .22-5-40 »

I have a Shilo 1863 in .45 caliber. Bought from Dixie gun works in summer of 77' I was still living at home, dad and I made the trip in my Luv truck in Aug...no AC..Hot! Dixie had told me over phone they had a good selection..got down there and had only 1 .54 & 1 .45. Got home and discovered breech block had alot of sideways play. Called Farmingdale and spoke with Mr. Droege. Told me to send it back..asked if possible wood upgrade? He said since it was a military..real fancy wood would be out of place..but he would take care of it. Rifle came back with beautiful dark wood with black streaks throughout.