Shiloh 63 is in the mail

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
cjensen

Shiloh 63 is in the mail

Post by cjensen »

Looks like I will have a 63 by Christmas.
Just ordered a Farmingdale 50 caliber carbine from BACO.
Now I need some sort of 50 caliber bullet mold.
Plan on using loose fill. Any recomendations for a bullet?
Carl
geezmo

Re: Shiloh 63 is in the mail

Post by geezmo »

Try moosemoulds.com They offer several different styles. Ringtail, Christmas tree, trashcan. Great folks to deal with.
Barry
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Enjoy. Jay Y.
cjensen

Post by cjensen »

Well, I got my BACO Farmingdale Shiloh 50 cal 63 carbine the other day.(BACOFS63/50) SN 262, so it is a very early Shiloh. Patchbox but no saddle ring. Really nice condition, mirror bore with no pitting, sharp rifling. Fit is not as nice as a Big Timber, to be expected. It has a nicer finish than current standard finished Shilohs and a nice polished barrel. No signs of gas cutting. Breech block could have been cleaned better, but no rust and nothing locked up. Ordered a lyman 515141 mold and sizer so I am ready to cast some bullets and brave the cold. 8 degrees this morning, winter is three weeks away.
They sent be some hornady great plains bullets. Anybody ever shot these in a 50cal 63?
"The base diameter which is smaller than the bore of the rifle makes the bullet easy to start; the middle diameter is slightly larger and engages the rifling; the top diameter fits tightly and embeds in the grooves of the rifling. Upon firing, the thin skirt of the hollow base expands to engage the rifling and seal the bore. This engineered design makes the Great Plains bullet more accurate in most styles of muzzleloaders." Sounds all wrong to be, maybe I should load them backwards. :D
cjensen

Post by cjensen »

287 views, people have an interest in these rifles.
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Carl,
I think maybe it is the 4 or 5 of us waiting for 1863's just rechecking...........see the "Shiloh 63 In the Mail" and think MAYBE?
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
cjensen

Post by cjensen »

Naphtali was supposed to be getting his sent, have not heard since. I think that leaves you, me and Bill's 2 63's left in the pipe.