Farmingdale Serial Numbers

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
tljack

Farmingdale Serial Numbers

Post by tljack »

I recently picked up another Sharps at a gun show. It is an 1863 carbine.

The markings on the receiver are as follows:
Right Side: Upper side of receiver it says: Farmingdale New York on 2 lines, Lower is says Shilo New Model 1863
Left side: Shilo Products Inc. This is repeated on the top of the barrel next to the rear sight.
Top of barrel: Behind sight it says: New Model 1863, on left side of the barrel next to the rear sight is says 54 cal. Use black Powder Only.
Rear Tang: serial number: 18**. The serial number is also in the usual place under the barrel above the fore arm.

Does anyone have any general idea when this carbine was made? I understand the Farmington NY guns were made between 1976 and 1983 but am hoping to narrow this down if at all possible.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me

Terry Jack
Jay Yuskaitis

Re: Farmingdale Serial Numbers

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Hi Terry Jack, You have, IMO, about the finest repro 1863 Sharps ever built, (Old Reliable) barrel markings, as in the originals, and built a lot closer to the original "Sharps" site. You can learn an awful "lot of history" just by going back to page one on this "1863" forum and reading! Enjoy your '63. Jay Y.
cjensen

Post by cjensen »

I don't think the "Old Reliable" barrel marking appeared on the Farmingdale 1863's. It's not on mine. Not sure when the Old Reliable barrel marking, if ever appeared on the Shiloh 63's.
tljack

Post by tljack »

Jay and cjensen,

thank you for taking time to comment. I have looked this gun over very carefully and find no sign of "Old Reliable" stamped anywhere.

The gun seems to be put together pretty good, however the wood to metal fit does not compare to my Big Timer Shilos or my originals. It seems to shoot pretty good.

I have a reproduction 59 and 2 originals 63s. One has been converted to 5-70. Both are in excellent condition and I feel fortunate to possess them. I only consider myself their caretakers as they can not be replaced.

I wanted to get a gun like my new one that I have the question about as an everyday shooter. I think it is going to fit the bill just right

Terry Jack
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

Sharps started stamping their barrels with "Old Reliable" in 1876/1877.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
Michael P Nowak

Post by Michael P Nowak »

Sir: Just took a look at my carbine (Farmingdale) no markings of 'Old Reliable' on mine either. Enjoy your new carbine. Mike
lmcmahon

Post by lmcmahon »

No such markings on my Farmingdale either.
N-SSA
TW-136
tljack

Post by tljack »

Thanks to all for taking time to comment. Does anyone know where I might get information about the build date of my carbine?

Terry Jack
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Hi folks, after reading here, I dug out my "Shiloh, Farmingdale 1863 # 3 Sporter", and it is definitely marked "OLD RELIABLE". Maybe the "Farmingdale" carbines weren't so marked, I don't know, but I do know, they are top notch.
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Hi Terry Jack, I don't know about the serial number range, My Shiloh #1 1874 Sporter #599X was delivered to me on September 1, 1983. I don't recall exactly when I ordered it. There is much history in these forums on the Shiloh, just has to be a labor of love, and, patience. Good luck.
tljack

Post by tljack »

Jay,

Thanks for the info on you 63's serial number. It kind of gives ma a little more idea when mine was born. :D

Terry Jack
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Have you shot it yet?
Michael P Nowak

Post by Michael P Nowak »

Hello: When I purchased my Farmingdale via an auction house (carbine) I tried to fined out the history of my 63 carbine. I called the folks up at Shiloh and sorry they had no records of any rifles or carbines from the New York production plant. Have fun. Mike
tljack

Post by tljack »

Jay Yuskaitis wrote:Have you shot it yet?
Jay,

Sorry to be so slow answering your question. I have shot it! Only at rocks about the size of a soft ball at 130 yds. shooting off hand and come very close to the rock and close enough several times to destroy it!

The only issue I have found with it is the lever tension screw is badly corroded and fell apart when I tried to remove it. I had soaked it with Kroil before hand. Anyway I just got a new screw. Will have to drill it out. I have a friend who has a mill and does a lot of this stuff. I am going to let him do it. A bit chicken on my part but I do not want to screw it up.

Other wise it is in awesome condition. I love it. I have two originals that are in great condition. One was converted to 50-70 but other one is original. It has a reproduction ladder sight. I found an original for it. I paid dearly for it. I doubt it is going to get any cheaper so I sprung the $75.00 for it.
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

tijack, Thanks for the reply. Enjoy them. Jay Y.