Waiting for my 1863 Sporter and getting excited

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
AussiePete

Waiting for my 1863 Sporter and getting excited

Post by AussiePete »

13 March 2013 I ordered from Shiloh Sharps, via an Australian gun dealer, a 1863 Sporting Rifle .50 calibre. :)

I live in Queensland Australia and for the past 40 years have been an avid black powder shooter. Shooting rifles from the Enfield P53, through to the .303 Jungle carbine via the .577 Snider rifles, 577/450 Martini Henrys, a Remington Rolling Block in .43 Egyptian and various flintlock rifles. I'm and avid collector of original military rifles and accoutrements that served in the British or Colonial Armies from 1853 to the end of WW2, they're all shooters and get a work out at least once a year.

With all that, I'm so excited that finally my Sharps is now being built. As long as I can remember the Sharps has been a rifle that I have always wanted and in particular the paper cartridge 1863 model. So after many years I decided to bite the bullet and order one from the best manufacturer there is .... Shiloh Sharps. :D

The past months has seen me trolling the Internet for details on how to load and clean the Sharps. With my 40 years of black powder shooting experience and the useful stuff found on the internet, quite a not useful, I reckon that I'll be ready for the day the rifle arrives. A year ago I bought a .50 Christmas tree bullet mould from Moose Moulds and the resultant projectiles are simply awesome, its a good mould and works well.

So excitement is growing, the rifle has to arrive in Australia, pass Australian Customs, not a big problem as its being imported by a registered Gun Dealer, then I have to apply for permission to purchase the firearm. When I have permission I can "legally" acquire the rifle however I cannot take possession of it until 28 days has expired from legally acquiring it (its to be held by the gun dealer for the 28 days). The 28 days is to ensure that the purchase is not a "heat of the moment" thing and to prevent me from going nuts and shooting someone. :shock:

So watch this space ............ I'll keep you all informed.
whoop-up country

Re: Waiting for my 1863 Sporter and getting excited

Post by whoop-up country »

Man some serious Gun Laws in Australia :!: :shock:
I am sure you will be pleased with the rifle.
Shiloh only makes the best :!: :D
I would like to quiz you on your jungle carbine though.
I have one, but haven't shot it yet.
Winter up here you know.
Supposedly they kick like a mule.
And then there is the wandering zero problem, or so it was reported.
Just wondering what your carbine was like, and any loads you made up for it etc.

Thanks for your input, and ENJOY your 1863 :!:

Bob.
tljack

Re: Waiting for my 1863 Sporter and getting excited

Post by tljack »

Congratulations AussiePete!

Bob, I have 3 1863 percussion Sharps, an Armisport Berdan, a Shilo and an original that is in very good condition.
Do not worry about your gun kicking you like a mule. They are pretty much like any other BP rifle or carbine.
The important thing is they are a blast to shoot.

Terry