Why a slant breach?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
SHARPSSHOOTER5090

Why a slant breach?

Post by SHARPSSHOOTER5090 »

Could any one tell me the reason for the breach block being slanted on the early percussion Sharps? I have never heard or read why it was made that way.

SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Roundsworth

Re: Why a slant breach?

Post by Roundsworth »

The breechblock would form a tight seal as the block moves upward. The same idea is used on the Navy's 3"/50 and many other major caliber guns.
GMC(SW) - USN, Retired 1978 - 2001

USS San Diego
USS Missouri
USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island
SHARPSSHOOTER5090

Unless the slot in the receiver is tapered and the breach block tapered it doesn't make any difference if the block moves perpendicular to the barrel or at an angle. Since the breach block will come out the top of the receiver, there is can't be a taper on either one.

Sharpsshooter5090
Roundsworth

Post by Roundsworth »

When the breechblock is lowered, does it also move slightly rearward, away from the barrel? If it does, then it will move toward the barrel when raised, thus, forming a tight seal. I have never actually seen an 1863 model. I assumed that is what you were referring to when you said the breechblock was 'slanted'.
GMC(SW) - USN, Retired 1978 - 2001

USS San Diego
USS Missouri
USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island
SHARPSSHOOTER5090

slant breech images.jpg
No, a slant breech sharps has the breech block sliding in a mortise that is approximately tilted back 20 Degrees from vertical. The mortise and the breech block are both parallel to each other and there is no camming action as the breech block is raised such as on a low wall and high wall. It shoots paper cartridges and there is no way it could be converted to a metallic cartridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SHARPSSHOOTER5090

Same here!