armisport 63

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
loophole

armisport 63

Post by loophole »

Several years ago I bought an Armisport 63 sporter. The barrel looks good and seems to be smooth and uniform diameter, but the rifling seems shallow--about .300". The chamber holds about 90 grns of ffg, and with that much powder the recoil is painful.
I tried shooting various conical bullets over loose powder, as well as round balls. Best accuracy was 4 or 5 inches at 50 yds.
I tried cardboard tubes to use less powder, bullets from Pedersoli Christmas tree mold, and made cartridges with the tube and hair curler paper.
Still no decent groups. I cleaned the rifle and put it away.
I looked it over again the other day , and got the urge to give it another try. However, before I spend more time with it I'd love to know if anyone has any ideas about how to make it shoot? What is the best accuracy I should expect? What is the best accuracy you would expect from a properly loaded Shiloh?
I'll thank you for any thoughts.
Steve K
If at first you don't secede, try, try again.
Steve crawford

Re: armisport 63

Post by Steve crawford »

I have a Taylor & Sons 1863 Carbine. It looks fairly good. But when I put 54 cal. Christmas tree bullet down the mussel I was about to cry. It would slid about 1 inch down the barrel then get tight. An inch farther and it would slide about another inch and then get tight. This went on all the way to the chamber. I was so upset I have not shot it yet. Mine is made by ARMI (sp). The wood was maybe fair but the barrel Would make a good shotgun. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Steve
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

had a carbine. needed a o-ring job bore had loose and tight spots in it after I had it relined it was better. By the way my user name came in part from that carbine. It would take quit a few caps to get it to go off. half the time the caps would not go off either. Sent it back to Taylor the could not find problem. suggest you get a hold of Charlie. Huhn. As some one on here once said to me about mine you cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And that is about what it is w an armi sport. got mine to shoot 2" groups at 50 yrds. about 5 6 at 100. Its long gone. I now shoot a shiloh shoots clover leafs at 50. about 2" at 100.
load i used in my armi sport was 42grn of 2ffg goex. or 38 of 2ffg Swiss.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
loophole

Post by loophole »

Thanks, fellas. I am looking for a Shiloh. Anybody know the max capacity of the Shiloh chamber behind a Christmas tree bullet?
Steve K
If at first you don't secede, try, try again.