AS Sporting .54

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Domino81

AS Sporting .54

Post by Domino81 »

Hello everybody,

My name is Dominik and I am writing from the other side of the Pond (Europe).

Recently I have purchased used unusual Armi Sport Percussion Sharps Sporting Rifle in .54 cal.
It is in near mint condition and comes with a custom mould.

I tried to find out when it was produced but with no luck. The previous owner told me that it's old Armi Sport Production from 90's and that it was targeted for US market.

It has this untypical rifling twist of 1 in 32 inches, and i hope it will be accurate up to 1000 yards a bit more than other .54 replicas with 1:48 twists.

I have equipped the rifle with Kelly front sight and Pedersoli rear tang sight and Lee Shaver's Hadley cup, I have learned how to produce paper cartridges with about 63 grains of No4. Swiss Black Powder and a cardboard wad to separate the bullet from powder. It seems accurate on 60 yards I was trying the riffle on.

The rifle itself was tuned to maintain the pressures and prevent leaks when fired by a gunsmith that also designed a mould for this gun, but the mould itself is not accurate and it was not produced with enough quality. When two pices come together i cen see the light in between the parts no matter how hard I press it - that causes the bullets to be inconsistent in weight.

The bullet weighs about 630 grains and it is long comparing to other .54 sharps bullets - 30,06mm It has 3 grooves and 4 rings: .555; .554; .551; .553

I have tried to find another mould, but none of well known brands sell bullet moulds for this gun in .54 caliber and 1:32 twist.

Have You seen gun like this? any hints ont the production date?
What should be the lenght and weight of the bullet?
Is there any mould available on the market that would suit the gun?