45 cal farmingdale mod 63

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
loophole

45 cal farmingdale mod 63

Post by loophole »

Farmingdale .45 cal mod '63 military rifle arrived today. Ordered from Cabelas. shows some sign that is has been shot but bore looks perfect and it looks like it was cleaned properly
before being put away.
At first sight I notice that the chamber looks to be the same size a as a .54 sporter chamber. Hahn's tubes for the 54 ought to work. Looks like some freebore in front of the chamber to allow breech seating bullet.
Drilled and tapped for tang sight, but the rifle came with a Lyman Century 4x scope mounted. Made in the late 70's to fit a limited production run of Ruger No. 1's in 45/70, as I understand.
The folks at Shiloh told me that there will be no more Mod '63's in the near future. I have noted that they seem to be harder to find lately.
I read Goodman's 2010 article in BPC news lately, and decided I really want a percussion gun in something less than 50 cal.
I think I'll spend a day at my range this weekend.
Steve K
If at first you don't secede, try, try again.
loophole

a follow up

Post by loophole »

Even though the block looked very good--no signs of rust or corrosion--and the nipple came out of the block with no problem, the clean-out screw is frozen in place. Soaked it in Kano Kroil, locked the block in a padded vise, used a 1/4" drive t handle on the screwdriver bit and it wouldn't move.
I've worked on motorcycles for years so I know a fair amount about removing stuck fasteners, but with a screw this small I don't think an ezy-out will work. I e-mailed Shiloh, but haven't heard from them.
If anyone is looking for a used percussion rifle on the net, you might want to think about asking the seller to check that screw. I don't even the most reputable dealer is likely to see that the screw will come out.
I did have a flash of inspiration. The block from my cavalry carbine will work in the musket, so I'll be able to try the rifle as soon as I can get to the range.
Anybody know anything about a 1978 Lyman Century Cenntenial scope?
Steve K
loophole

a follow up

Post by loophole »

Even though the block looked very good--no signs of rust or corrosion--and the nipple came out of the block with no problem, the clean-out screw is frozen in place. Soaked it in Kano Kroil, locked the block in a padded vise, used a 1/4" drive t handle on the screwdriver bit and it wouldn't move.
I've worked on motorcycles for years so I know a fair amount about removing stuck fasteners, but with a screw this small I don't think an ezy-out will work. I e-mailed Shiloh, but haven't heard from them.
If anyone is looking for a used percussion rifle on the net, you might want to think about asking the seller to check that screw. I don't even the most reputable dealer is likely to see that the screw will come out.
I did have a flash of inspiration. The block from my cavalry carbine will work in the musket, so I'll be able to try the rifle as soon as I can get to the range.
Anybody know anything about a 1978 Lyman Century Cenntenial scope?
Steve K
loophole

another update

Post by loophole »

I sent the block off to Shiloh to see if they can get the clean-out screw out. I don't expect to hear from them till after they get back from the Quigley.
Meanwhile, I've shot the rifle using the bloc from my cavalry carbine. I find that the is scope mounted too low to allow it to zero at 100 yards--it is in contact with the hammer at full cock. The mounts do not allow fine adjustments and I think they are too course to be repeatable.
I'm going to put an MVA tang sight from one of my other rifles on it till I can get taller bases from steve earle.
When I was not moving the scope around it seemed to put it's shots in an inch at 50 yds.
By the way, Hahn's tubes will fit in the chamber of this .45 cal., but when I fire the rifle it goes off, leaving a charred tube in the chamber. I wonder if the tubes won't work in anything smaller than a .50 cal.?
If I can get the scope set up properly, this could become my favorite rifle.
Steve K