Shiloh SC Robinson

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
boge

Shiloh SC Robinson

Post by boge »

If anyone is looking for one here is one available. No, it's not mine nor am I affiliated with the seller. Just passing on info:

http://www.lodgewood.com/Shiloh-Confede ... _2158.html
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
George Babits

Re: Shiloh SC Robinson

Post by George Babits »

I check Lodgewood fairly often to see what they have. Somehow I missed that one. I wonder how many of those Shiloh made? I could talk myself into that pretty easilly if I had any spare cash.

George
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

wood to metal fit nowhere the quality of current shilohs
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

the fit and finish isnt too bad for a 50 year old rifle built in NY.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

The thing I like most about the Farmingdale rifles is that they are much closer "copies" of the originals than the current production. I like to shoot long range occassionally, but not too seriously, so the slower (original) twists work fine for me. I can see, and hit, a 40" gong at 1000 yards with several of my rifles, but I would never win any matches. My preference is for original rifles and have a precussion Sharps as well as a conversion. Both have very good bores. I haven't tried the precussion one yet, but working up to it. Just have to roll some paper cartridges one of these evenings.

George
boge

Post by boge »

George Babits wrote:The thing I like most about the Farmingdale rifles is that they are much closer "copies" of the originals than the current production...

How so? :?: :?
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

They have the rifling twists that were used at the time, instead of the ultra fast twists in vogue these days. Also, they weren't "fancy" with the exibition grade wood people now want. Just plain Jane working rifles like 95% of the originals were. They were "tools" not pieces of art.

George
boge

Post by boge »

George Babits wrote:They have the rifling twists that were used at the time, instead of the ultra fast twists in vogue these days. Also, they weren't "fancy" with the exibition grade wood people now want. Just plain Jane working rifles like 95% of the originals were. They were "tools" not pieces of art.

George

You are talking about the percussion rifles/carbines right? :?
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

(The thing I like most about the Farmingdale rifles is that they are much closer "copies" of the originals than the current production.)

TOO funny!!!

Kirk,
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

That wasn't meant to be offensive Kirk. Shiloh has an excellent product. Mainly it is the rifling twist that I don't care fore. I prefer original loadings which for the most part means lighter bullets and slower twists that everyone seems to want these days.

George
boge

Post by boge »

Are you talking about PERCUSSION or CARTRIDGE guns? I ask as you seem to talking about ctg. guns in the Percussion Forum. :?
boge

Post by boge »

Are you talking about PERCUSSION or CARTRIDGE guns? I ask as you seem to talking about ctg. guns in the Percussion Forum. :?
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hey George, I know, I just couldn't resist :D :D

Anyway, we do the slower twists if people want them, my old friend Orville got that one started!!HaHa

Kirk
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Kirk,

That is good to know. I knew that Wolf used to make whatever twist someone wanted. I thought you were pretty well locked in on the fast twists these days. I only have a pair of Shiloh rifles left. A 50-70 military made in New York, and the first or second rifle Shiloh made in 30-40. Wanted a 40-70SS about 8 or 9 years ago but I was told the only twist available was 1:16 so didn't order one. I may have to rethink that now.

Cheers,
George