American Pioneer powder in percussion?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Randall

American Pioneer powder in percussion?

Post by Randall »

I ran across an article a few months ago that I can't find now. They were using American Pioneer substitute powder in a 63 percussion with decent success. Does anyone here use it themselves? I've always used Goex or Swiss and was curious.
Naphtali

Re: American Pioneer powder in percussion?

Post by Naphtali »

Let me preface my reply by reporting I have never shot any black powder substitute propellent in any cap lock. Since these substitute propellants are intended to be used in cap locks, and flame temperature and volume of gas exceeds that of any other percussion cap (209s exceed gas volume at lower flame temperature), about the worst performance feature you might expect is a slight hang fire caused by the 1863's torturous ignition channel. In several places on forums, I have placed a graphic showing all CCI data on percussion caps, in several forums, probably in this forum also. My data is from Ralph Lermeyer in a 1998 Muzzle Blasts.

Hope this helps.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
Free_Stater

Re: American Pioneer powder in percussion?

Post by Free_Stater »

I use American Pioneer in perhaps 70% of my 63 shooting, and it works very well. The main thing is to remember that the weight to volume ratio is .85:1, so load by volume only. If you weigh charges, the proper weight of an APP charge should be 85% that of powder.

One issue I have observed is that in paper cartridges, either nitrated or otherwise, the APP loads don't consume the paper as reliably as black powder. All in all, though, I've had very good results using the American Pioneer.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.