1863 Gemmer

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Kynoch2015

1863 Gemmer

Post by Kynoch2015 »

Evening. Any idea of how many Gemmer 1863s were built by Shiloh? I recently acquired a Farmingdale 1863 Gemmer 41XX serial number range. Great wood, .54 cal 34" barrel marked Old Reliable. A few minor handling marks, but I really believe the rife is unfired. I hate to be the first, but this one deserves to get out! Not the best pic, but you get the idea (sorry about the block not being in the rifle). My first sporter, and I feel very fortunate. Thanks!

Straightneck

Re: 1863 Gemmer

Post by Straightneck »

That's Nice,, I like it

Mason
Three "G's" made AMERICA GREAT
GOD-Girls-Guns
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this is a very rare rifle indeed.

Great catch!
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
James

Post by James »

Gremmer Sharps made by the custom shop of the Shiloh distributer between 1980 to 1984 were mostly cartridge types. I worked there and made a few but I don't have all the paper work on them. The first percussion one was mentioned in volume VII no. 3 of "Muzzleloader" magazine.
There’s no horse so dead it can’t be beat a bit more.
Kynoch2015

Post by Kynoch2015 »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Very much appreciated.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

If you can choke down owning a Pedersoli, they make a very nice Gemmer version. A friend has one, unfired NIB and I strongly considered it. Beautiful rifle!

However, the Canadian Pedersoli importer was having a 'Black Friday' sale (20% off and free shipping on the rifle and accessories ordered at the same time) and I took advantage of it to buy my first non-Shiloh '74:
a 45-70 "Silhouette' model with upgraded wood, 32" 1x18" barrel, shotgun butt, etc. I already have a new MVA mid-range tang sight for it, but I'll need a new base for it if it isn't compatible.

I currently have five Shiloh rifles in the locker, who might object to this import being stabled alongside American thoroughbreds, but they'll have to suck it up and adapt. I bought the Ped as I intend to do more BPCR shooting next season and the Peds are reputed to have a pretty good barrel these days. At least according to the gospel on the net.

I recently had cataract surgery on both eyes and now have my 'long range' eyes back. I still wear glasses, but they enable me to both see the sight graduations and hits on steel out to 200m.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Not so. How many do you want? Contact "MarStar" in Ontario, Canada. They'll happily sell you one.
You just missed their 20% off 'Black Friday' sale.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"