50-140 Percussion Sporter

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Bud Man

50-140 Percussion Sporter

Post by Bud Man »

Haven't quite figured out why I needed one, but purchased a Farmingdale '63 Sporter a few weeks ago, ca.1983 gun. 30 inch standard weight barrel, .54 caliber. Chamber capacity is 140 grains. First time out to the range today, and what a beast. Lightly used by previous owner, and easy to see why! Surprisingly, first five shot group held at 1 3/4 inches at 50 yards, so I think I'm keeping it. Not sure what will do me in first, though - the recoil or the FFg bills. :shock:
Life is NOT a dress rehearsal...
borderdogs

Re: 50-140 Percussion Sporter

Post by borderdogs »

Hi Bud,
You could have the barrel cut back at the breech to reduce the chamber size I think Shiloh would do that but a good gunsmith could do it also. If it were me I would want a chamber around 70 grains which would still give you a thump and would be similar to a 50-70. Would work for game well too.

I have two Shiloh 63's; the first one is a Hartford Sporter 54 with a 30" barrel I bought used. The second was one that I ordered and was one of the last produced by Shiloh before the line was dropped from current production. It is a Hartford standard weight 28" barrel in .38 and I specified a 60 - 65 grain chamber.

Best of luck,
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
Orville

Post by Orville »

If you cut a barrel off at the breech, your forearm won't fit anymore, your rear sight will be too close, that is if you use it , and the mount for you lever spring will have to be redone, it would probably be cheaper to rebarrel it
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Which is precisely why I sold my Shiloh .54 '63 Sporter - it was punishing to shoot and I didn't want to mess with fillers. I'm happier with my .50 '63 MR and SRC.

[quote="Bud Man"]Haven't quite figured out why I needed one, but purchased a Farmingdale '63 Sporter a few weeks ago, ca.1983 gun. 30 inch standard weight barrel, .54 caliber. Chamber capacity is 140 grains. First time out to the range today, and what a beast. Lightly used by previous owner, and easy to see why! Surprisingly, first five shot group held at 1 3/4 inches at 50 yards, so I think I'm keeping it. Not sure what will do me in first, though - the recoil or the FFg bills. :shock:[/quote]
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Orville, you are right rebarreling would be cheaper. You could keep the old barrel too as a "just in case" or whatever. I have had Shiloh rebarrel one of my rifles in the past.

As far as trying to figure out the "why's" of owning a 63 for me there are many. I think in some ways I actually like the percussion Sharps better than the cartridge rifles. Once you figure out how you want to shoot it they are fairly easy to handle and very accurate.
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
Bud Man

Post by Bud Man »

I appreciate all the comments! I think I'll keep it for awhile - I have always liked the odd and unusual. Buying a shoulder recoil pad, just the same. The rifle has an unexpected attribute - a couple of shots and the benches nearby clear pretty fast. Had a guy launching .223 brass into my cheek... BOOM and BOOM ....he moved. :lol: Thanks, all!

Bud
C.L. Hiatt II

Post by C.L. Hiatt II »

Bud Man wrote:I appreciate all the comments! I think I'll keep it for awhile - I have always liked the odd and unusual. Buying a shoulder recoil pad, just the same. The rifle has an unexpected attribute - a couple of shots and the benches nearby clear pretty fast. Had a guy launching .223 brass into my cheek... BOOM and BOOM ....he moved. :lol: Thanks, all!

Bud
A little smoke drifting down the line helps a little too ("That s#%t stinks"). I did have some guy wander over to see how I could "shoot a muzzleloader so fast."
:roll:
"It is better to die a free man, weapon in hand, than to live life as a coward and a slave"
BDixon

Post by BDixon »

I bought a .54 sporter 30" HB in 1983. I bought the tang sight and globe front sight from Shiloh which they installed. It took about 3 months to get it. I bought a mould from NEI. When the rifle came we went out to my club. We only had a 100 yards. I didn't own a spotting scope so we loaded loose powder and shot 3 rounds. Then we walked down to the end of the range to look at the target. It looked like a clover leaf 3 bullets in one hole in the X. That rifle is extremely accurate. That rifle kicks almost harder than my 50/90.
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

.... and that's why my '63 Military Rifle and SRC are in .50, not .54 calibre! They have 60 gr chamber capacities. Recoil is negligible, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them on deer out to 100 yds or a little closer on a moose.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
loophole

Post by loophole »

You might try Hahn's tubes. I can't remember the details, but the tubes are thick enough to use up a good deal
of the capacity of the powder chamber.
Steve K
If at first you don't secede, try, try again.
Bud Man

Post by Bud Man »

Great advice on Hahns tubes - I'll look into them. Many thanks!

Bud
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

do you really need 140? why not reduce the load to something more comfortable& And work a load up that gives you the accuracy you want. air space in a 63 is not a problem. I'm shooting 38 grn 2ffg out a a chamber thats just shy of 1 7/8" using charlies tubes. no filler.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Bud Man

Post by Bud Man »

Have no idea what Wolf (or the person who ordered it) was thinking he built a 54-140 with a standard barrel and a military butt plate, but gotta admit it's fun. :mrgreen: I will play with the capacities a while and file a range report, but in the meantime this old girl's a hoot!

Bud