How to dry fire a single trigger 1863?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Naphtali

How to dry fire a single trigger 1863?

Post by Naphtali »

I have a friend who wants to learn to shoot one of my 1863s. The only one having double set triggers is having custom work done, so she cannot learn its mechanics on it.

I want her to learn to manipulate its mechanism, including trigger. How to set up the nipple-hammer nose that she can dry fire? I thought about fastening a leather strip across the nipple, but I doubt it will last long. It also may jam within hammer nose. Would using some sort of insert within the hammer nose - I guess taking advantage of "jamming within hammer nose???" - might work. But what to use?

Perhaps a better idea is to stop typing and ask for recommendations from shooters who have solved the problem successfully. So I'll stop now.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
Todd Birch

Re: How to dry fire a single trigger 1863?

Post by Todd Birch »

I drill a hole in a hard piece of wood to fit over the nipple. The hammer hits the wood only.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
dennis g

Post by dennis g »

Get a piece of fuel line hose or clear hose, like for aquariums. Cut just long enough to allow your hammer to fall, but not strike the nipple. I keep them on all my mls.
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

Thanks, guys. I'm on it.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

get a faucet washer
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

Older post, but still useful. Use a valve stem from a car tire. Cut the bottom off, the part that goes inside the wheel and put it on the nipple.