Shiloh 63 project idea

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
borderdogs

Shiloh 63 project idea

Post by borderdogs »

Hi Guys,
I have a project in mind that I am contemplating. I have a Shiloh 63 Sporting rifle in .54 with a 30" standard barrel and military buttstock. I have been rolling the idea around of having it rebarreled to .44 standard weight with a chamber capacity of about 70 grains. I would also have the barrel length around 28". It would duplicate somewhat an 1853 Slant Breech I had many years ago.

I recently received an .38 Shiloh 63 which I waited for a while to get. It is a Hartford, 28" standard weight, polished barrel, select semi fancy, AA finish stock and it is a dandy little rifle. I have only shot it a few times but I do love it. I purchased the .54 Shiloh 63 while I was waiting for this rifle to be made to have something to mess around with and found I don't really like this set up. I considered selling it but decided I would rather make a project out of it. Another thought I had was having it rebarrelled in a 14lbs bull in .44 but I think I prefer the above remodel. Anyone else have similar projects in mind?
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
johnefelts

Re: Shiloh 63 project idea

Post by johnefelts »

I like the idea and would like to do something similar but am standoffish due to practicality, what would the benefits be, better accuracy? Longer range? What twist would you want to use?

How is the 38 working for you? What set up did you do for that? Powder capacity, twist rate, etc. What bullets do you use and what is the accuracy like and how far out have you shot it?
wireman

Post by wireman »

I think that is a great idea.I haven't thought of having a 63 rebarreled to a smaller cal. I too wanted a smaller cal. then a .50 .
I'm waiting on my 63 now .I ordered it to be like a #1 with standard half 28in barrel in 40 cal. 1-16 twist & mva #104 tang sight .

I have a question . Is the gas plate & block the same in your .38 as the one in your .54 or does it change with cal. ?
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

There are a lot of advantages to a smaller caliber a 38 with a 70 grain chamber is perfectly suitable for whitetails and something as small as bunnies. It also has a lighter recoil is a standard barrel than a .54. A .44 would be similar I guess one disadvantage is there are few bullets to choose from than say a .45 but for me it is closer to the old Slant Breech I had.

As far as being practicable that would be dependent on your perspective. I guess it would be more practical to have an AR in 5.56 or 300 Blackout plenty of ammo to choose from and they are plenty accurate. I don't think a percussion single shot is only practical if you want it to be.
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

When I shoot a percussion Sharps I use a hunting bag like muzzle loaders use and a powder horn or flask. In the bag I carry everything I would need like cleaning patches, a tin of caps, greased bullets, screwdriver, gun oil in a bottle, BP solvent, etc. From the bag's strap I have a capper that hangs from it and a ball starter in a loop on the bag. It works really well and once you figure on exactly what you need in the bag and nothing more it becomes very handy.

I had a rebarrel done by Shiloh a few years ago from 50-90 to 45-70 and if I remember right it was around $750-$800. I also had some other work done too so the tag was higher. With this rifle I think I would keep the current wood and rebarrel it to .44. A fully loaded rifle in this configuration would be similar to .44-77. With the .38 I have I use a Lyman mold but once I figure out what it likes I might consider a custom mold. I would do the same with the .44.

I saw someone posted a picture of a 63 that was reconfigured with a bull barrel and I have thought of that too but I an leaning hard on a lighter rifle.
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Wireman,
Good question, I will have to check the gas plates off hand I would think they would be the same. I will check them and let you know.

You know another thing is the Slant Breech Sharps also had .36 caliber rifles. When I ordered the .38 I considered that but went with the .38. I ordered mine though Bill Goodman and he talked up the .38 he had so I went with that. A .36 would be very interesting.
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
wireman

Post by wireman »

Borderdogs Do your 63's shoot as accurate as your 74 ?
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Wireman,
Yes every bit as good as the 74's if I do my part. My shooting tend to be limited to what is available around me which is generally around 200 yards. If you cast good bullets and shoot off a rest you can compete with the 74's in my opinion. I like the simplicity of the 63's loose powder, bullets, caps, and you can shoot. You don't have to have loaded cartridges.

I use to use a blow tube but generally mouth blow and I push the bullet into the chamber with a starting stick used for muzzle loaders. I tend to use a dry card wad before I drop the powder in. I got a great hint from a fellow shooter about using trimmer string with an ear plug stuck on one end. Sharpen the other end and use it to poke through a patch and pass the patch down to the ear plug, Then from the breech pass the string though the barrel and pull the ear plug/patch through and out the end of the barrel. I use to use a bore snake but this works much better and is easy to carry in a hunting bag. And the 63's are easy to clean too despite what some say.
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

At this stage of the"game of life", why be practical? Jay Y.