Should I get this rifle???

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
snapcap14

Re: Should I get this rifle???

Post by snapcap14 »

I did not read all the post but for target I use charlies tubes. bullet i now use is by moose molds. also use the brooks mould designed for charlies tubes. 38 grns 2ffg. cant be bothered rolling mu\y own. I also use plastic tubes that hold powder and bullet you push them in and pul the tube out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

At Colonial Williamsbure they sure as heck weren't rolling paper cartridges for the Sharps! Porbably 69 caliber round ball "cartridges" for their smoothbore muskets. That's a whole different breed of cats.

George
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

George,
As I said,this was many years ago and I had no idea of what "paper cartridges" were being rolled.

But it did certainly open my eyes to see that such things did exist back then.

Top Dog
Be carefull of the words you speak
Choose them soft and sweet
Yopu never know which ones you're gonna eat
C.L. Hiatt II

Post by C.L. Hiatt II »

Top Dog wrote:Straightneck,
I noticed that the musket caps from CCI are designated for "re-enactment" use and I think are not hot enough to set of a charge in the Sharps. Am I wrong on this???

I would order a large number to offset the hazardous shipping rip off charge.

Top Dog
Correct info on CCI "re-enactment" caps at least as far as my 1863 .50 Sporter & 1863 .54 Military go (80.0 grains, GOEX FFg, in .50 & 78 grains GOEX FFg in .54)
I got tired of using 2 or more CCI caps to get rifle to go "boom". Read elsewhere to use RWS musket caps. Good move. 1 cap & rifle goes BOOM. Yes, RWS costs a tad more but after awhile the cost of 2 to 4 CCI caps per shot compared to 1 RWS cap, the cost per shot changes considerably. Also change to RWS velocity went up, Extreme spread, SD, & AD went down. Accuracy was also a little better considering 70+ year old eyeballs as aiming devices.
Your mileage may vary.
"It is better to die a free man, weapon in hand, than to live life as a coward and a slave"
Tony2

Post by Tony2 »

I began shooting my 63 when I joined a USSS reenactment unit back in the early 80s. I'd be happy to email you a sketch of how to make paper and linen cartridges.
Tony2
Tony2
Tony2

Post by Tony2 »

Just found the attachment button for the paper cartridge/linen

Tony2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony2
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

I have out my 1863 project on back burner for a while. Dealing with a painful diabetic foot plus never seem to have time to get to Cabelas to pick up musket caps.

Plus now we have another 14 inches of snow so the range will not be in use for a while. Gives me some time to prep some things for the range.

Off subject but we have a serious problem with coyotes in the area with 6 dogs being attacked while being walked by their owners. This is in an urban area not in the woods or trails. Four dog have been killed,two seriously injured.

One person had a deer run into his sliding glass porch door with three coyotes hanging onto it!!!!

So I am temporarily "sidelined" with this project.

Top Dog
Be carefull of the words you speak
Choose them soft and sweet
Yopu never know which ones you're gonna eat
WileyCoyote

Post by WileyCoyote »

Just read through most of the posts on this. I love it - it was 2 weeks from the time you asked if you should get this rifle and it arrived!

I use Brooks and Lyman bullets I purchased online and they both work great. I use Hahn tubes. They are wonderful, Mr. Hahn is a true professional, and the tubes save a lot of loading time and hassle. They come in a paper sack of 500, so that may be a lifetime supply for me. I only load 40 and 45 grains of FF, and I use the real thing from DuPont, not the synthetic replacement. I also use RWS winged and wingless caps. I can't tell the difference. I have used nitrated and non-nitrated paper and I can't say I can tell the difference there either.

I have a fairly old Wolf-marked 1863 from Farmingdale and it is incredibly accurate, loaded as I described, at 100 yards and under. The bullet drop at 100 yards is nothing.

I have a couple of other posts here from years ago. One is photos of a Brooks or Lyman bullet at about 50 yards, shot into a mesquite tree. You won't believe the way it mushroomed. I also have Word files I can send you for printing out labels to make period correct labeled boxes for your cartridges. I believe there is an old post on here with samples of those as well.

Enjoy!
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

What do those Hahn tubes cost?

George
helvitican

Post by helvitican »

New to the board. Greetings one and all.

(ref to Nitrating paper) A Bio Diesel firm in Decatur Alabama sells 99.9% pure Nitrate in a 5 pound
bag for $13.50 for those looking to Nitrate paper. Not sure on the shipping and if anyone knows of another firm that
sells in quantity, cheaper, I'd like to hear from you. I do NOT work for this company and am not promoting them other than
for the price. And yes there is a Bulk limit, which is 400 lbs. so some of you may decide to get together and buy in bulk.
They also have pure Sulfur cake and other chems as well for the braver types, looking to make their own powder.
Duda has an online presence.

Company info:
Duda Energy LLC
Address: 1112 Brooks St SE, Decatur, AL 35601
Hours: Open today · 9AM–5PM
Phone: (256) 340-4866
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

what is the clean up like on the shiloh 63? art
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Clean up is not bad. Warm water and dawn dish soap or windshield washer flurry. Ive also for quick clean up. Glass cleaner fromvthe dollar store. Clean bore like any other. Pull the breach block. Remove nipple and clean out screw. Soak a few min. Clean w a pipe cleaner. Spray wd40. Into the block. Shake off. Clean breach channel w tooth Brush. Wipe dry I spray every thing w wd40. Wipe down then use high temp grease on breach contact surfaces. And oil everything else. .
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA