alloy

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
loophole

alloy

Post by loophole »

what do you boys consider to be the best alloy to cast 54 cal x-mas tree bullets? how about lee 54 mini bullets?
for plinking and target shooting in '63 shiloh cav carbine?
Loophole
If at first you don't secede, try, try again.
tazwellboy

Re: alloy

Post by tazwellboy »

Howdy, Loophole;

I don't think you can go wrong casting these bullets out of pure lead. The originals were usually swaged or cast out of pure lead and they work just fine in my Shiloh 1863 NM rifle in .54.

Steve Brooks crafts an absolutely superb Mould for this bullet.

Matt
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf." George Orwell
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

i use pure lead also, have one brooks modified mold that takes charlies tubes. and on moose mold. that is a Bagden design semi wad cutter. use 38 and 42 grn 2ffg respectfully
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Yup, I use pure lead as well with the Lyman .54 minie. Works great.

George
lmcmahon

Post by lmcmahon »

I'm using pure lead w/ Moose 544480 mold. 43.5 ffg Swiss black powder.
N-SSA
TW-136
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

lmcmahon wrote:I'm using pure lead w/ Moose 544480 mold. 43.5 ffg Swiss black powder.
I shouldnt say this But have you tried moose's version of the Bagdon sharps mold. I love it. nice clean holes like the Hodgens Minnie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
lmcmahon

Post by lmcmahon »

Didn't see it listed on their website. I tried the Moose ringtail Bullet, but did not take time to work up a load. Been shooting the Christmas tree Bullet w/good results. Can you post a picture of the Bagdon bullet. Thanks
N-SSA
TW-136
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

It's not listed. I requested it a few years ago Al O. from the same team as Moose had the drawings and an original mold. I gave Moose a few Samples also Al was kind enough to lend me the original the mold..the few he had where bought I by me the rest by al (as the story goes ) from what I hear. To keep it off the market as long as posable
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

Glad I found this post. I am getting items together to use to cast and shoot bullets and I do have some pure lead I can use. I plan on getting a Brooks ringtail mold. I found a 1862 CS Robinson Shiloh SN #20x in .54 caliber. Real nice shape, hardly used. I plan on calling Charlie Hahn after I cast bullets and measure the size tubes I need. I also plan on starting off with KIK 3F as I have some of that. Swiss 2F is next on the list to buy. I'll be shooting 50 yards and 100 yards at N-SSA events as well as paper punching. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Bob
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Bob. Contact me any time. I'll help you out. Also what team and region are you with. I'm with the 14th va. Cav. Enjoy region.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
lmcmahon

Post by lmcmahon »

Buzzard II wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:44 pm Glad I found this post. I am getting items together to use to cast and shoot bullets and I do have some pure lead I can use. I plan on getting a Brooks ringtail mold. I found a 1862 CS Robinson Shiloh SN #20x in .54 caliber. Real nice shape, hardly used. I plan on calling Charlie Hahn after I cast bullets and measure the size tubes I need. I also plan on starting off with KIK 3F as I have some of that. Swiss 2F is next on the list to buy. I'll be shooting 50 yards and 100 yards at N-SSA events as well as paper punching. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Bob
Bob,
I also shoot a CS Robinson Shiloh in 54 cal. Try the Swiss 2F.
Linwood
N-SSA
TW-136
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

68.jpg
69.jpg
For my 54 cal i mainly use this LEE X-mas tree mold that i gott off of e-bay. Real happy with it,and the gun is real accurate. Agree on all lead,however i´ve modded my rifle to take brass cartridges and thus use an alloy approx Lyman No2.
Works very very well.
To my knowledge them molds are still available on e-bay. Worth every penny IMO.