'63 shiloh carbineh

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
loophole

'63 shiloh carbineh

Post by loophole »

I took 4 guns to my range Friday. I first unlimbered my Shiloh '63 carbine. I shot my X-mas tree bullet
lubed with beeswax/neatsfoot oil lube, a commercial minie cast in a lyman mold, and hornaday 54 roundball
breech seated with a lube card between ball and powder.
Rather than making paper cartridges I use loose powder or Hahn's tubes or paper tubes I make with hair curler paper.
I have shot the carbine a few times before, and found the barrel sight too crude for my aging eyes.
The gun now has an MVA tang sight. My target was an NRA highpower target scaled for 100 Yds. I shot at 50 and then 100 yards.
Both the Xmas tree bullet and the minie shot 2" groups at 50 using 60 gr Goex FFg loaded loose. 5" at 100.
I started shooting the round balls with Hahn's tubes loaded with 65 grs. Barley kept them in the black at 100.
I had so much fun I spent the rest of the day shooting at steel that I didn't take another gun out of the case.
Next stop--load development.
I busted two caps after drying out the barrel and puttting the block togther with anti-seize compound, then shot all day without
cleaning the block. I pushed a couple of soap and water damp patches down the bore after about ten shots.
This probably is the most fun I've had shooting.
Loophole
If at first you don't secede, try, try again.
Todd Birch

Re: '63 shiloh carbineh

Post by Todd Birch »

Make sure that you remove the flash hole clean out screw in the side of the block. If you don't, it will seize in place.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Hey Loophole,

When you say "anti-seizing compound" what do you mean? Are you using the stuff that you get at auto parts store?

George
loophole

Post by loophole »

When I'm ready to take the gun home I take the plate, nipple, and clean-out screw off the block, then put them in a bottle of soapy water.
When I get home I put the parts in a pan of boiling soapy water, then clean everything with a small brush, and lube the screw, nipple and plate, plus
the contact surfaces on the block either with Lubriplate grease or the kind anti-seize you buy in the auto parts store. Use a q-tip to oil the lever and other parts.
When buying a '63 be sure the clean out screw is not seized. I bought a Shiloh which did not look as if it had been shot, and had to send it to Shiloh for an expensive repair when the screw simply would't move, even with an impact screw driver and a blade ground to fit the screw.
Loophole
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

When I had my first Shiloh .54 thirty years ago I used lubriplate. Wasn't even smart enough to know that the gac check plate came off. With the one I now have, I have shot it with just oil on the block and moving surfaces because of the cold, and that gets pretty stiff after 10 rounds or so. I think I have some of that automotive anti-sieze stuff on the shelf and will try it next time. I've got lubriplate as well. Either has got to be better shooting dry. Made up some paper cartridges this morning. Still too cold to shoot; plus 2 feet of snow.

I am nitrating my own paper. I have heard all sorts of good things about the Hann tubes, but I am an incurable tightwad. I do think I'll put an MVA sight on this rifle though. As you said, the military sights aren't the greatest. I'll have to drill and tap the tang to put a sight on, but I've got the correct tap (same thread as Shiloh uses). This is an early Farmingdale rifle with serial number just over 1000. Makes it one of the first 3-400 ones made.

George
loophole

Re: '63 shiloh carbine

Post by loophole »

I use hair curler paper and it burns completely without nitrate. If you don't have have Lubriplate or anti seize, SPG
or beeswax/neatsfoot oil does a fair job of lubricating the plate and the block.
Loophole
Boston Bill

Post by Boston Bill »

I shot 20 rounds in my 63 and the gas plate came right off. I had put some bore butter on it.
Happy Shooting!!! :D