Cleaning after the day's shooting

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Naphtali

Cleaning after the day's shooting

Post by Naphtali »

My cervical spinal fusions have finally healed enough that I can begin to begin shooting again. During that process a question occurred that pertains only to cap lock Sharps reproductions, not cartridge rifles: How often do you remove your rifle's wood from barreled receiver when cleaning the rifle after a day's shooting?

Shiloh actions are significantly simplified compared with Italian reproductions, plus they have closer tolerances where breech block meets receiver. These Shiloh features should translate to easier, perhaps less complex cleaning procedure.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
snapcap14

Re: Cleaning after the day's shooting

Post by snapcap14 »

as said on other sites in nov. only except if it rained while out
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

HI, This is a good question for me. I've had my '63 #3 Sporter, A .54 Farmingdale for many years now. When cleaning after shooting, I've removed the fore end, lever and block. Totally dismantled the block and washed, cleaned and lubed every nook and cranny in it, along with all other exposed parts, including the bore which is about new. I've never removed the lock as I was afraid of chipping away some of the inletting, nor have I ever attempted to remove the stock. I must admit it was hardly fired with "Black", never with pyrodex, but, since it's introduction, Tripple Seven exclusively. I've enjoyed "Charlies Tubes" for quite a few years now with 777. As age sets in, I don't shoot as much as I'd like, but always think about it. My only concern has been when I take it out to fondle it, the residue from the musket caps will always cause some exterior corrosion about the hammer, be they RWS or CCI. I admit it hasn't been shot for several years now, but I think about it every time I'm at this site. Jay Y.
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

I gotta' admit the main reason for no longer using "black", my oldest grandson now 31 years old, lived with us babysitting for several years. He was about 5 years old the day I found he discovered a "magnifying glass and what it could do. I had about ten pounds of "black", half Dupont and half Curtis Harvey stored in an outside shed. On this day I gave all my "black" to a co worker with no young children. By the way, we were both Professional Firefighters at the time. No regrets as the only 'plosion was a bicycle tire. Jay Y.