To nitrate, or not to nitrate............

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Niederlander

To nitrate, or not to nitrate............

Post by Niederlander »

Gentlemen,
I've searched here and other places and can't seem to find a consensus. Do you actually need to nitrate paper cartridges or not? Do they burn up without it? Does the rifle stay cleaner with nitrated papers?
George Babits

Re: To nitrate, or not to nitrate............

Post by George Babits »

I have always used nitrated paper, mostly because that was the way it was originally done. My observation is that it does make the powder burn cleaner. Even with the nitrated paper it doesn't always all burn. If you shoot over fresh snow you learn pretty quick that a lot of that paper is going out the barrel. If you use thin paper you don't have to nitrate it, but the cartridges are fragile. By thin I mean newspaper or SubWay wrappers. I've shot both ways.

George
Salmon, Idaho
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Not anymore. Never found any real difference. I have also swutched to Charlies tubes. I shoot way to much to role my own anymore.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

A good question. I've tried both ways, both ways work for me. For several years I've been using Charlie's Tubes with nitrated curling papers on one end with a "Brooks or Rapine" bullet on the other end. My luck with black was pretty good with a number of shots before wiping the chamber. As mentioned in an earlier post, I ended up using 777. I found 777 with Charlie's Tubes I have to wipe the chamber of residue of each after each shot to be able to easily chamber the next round. A pain in the neck, I admit, but my oldest Grandson still has all his fingers and both eyes. As much as I've loved Black over the last 55 years, I think I've 'gotta stick with 777, mostly due to our leacherous politicians in Massachusetts. No doubt you've heard about our local State Rep warning illegals about impending raids upon their rights. Jay Y.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Jay you may want to return your sharps to shiloh and have them open up the chamber. That's what I had to do. I am the second owner of mine. A friend of mine had it built I bought it from him several years later.. Seam the breach was made tighter than should be. May have been by request I'm not sure. Don't temember. To long ago. Anyway since it has been opened up no problems I can get more than 15 rounds of w/o brushing out. Before only 2 or 3. Talk to shiloh about it.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

varsity07840 wrote:
snapcap14 wrote:Jay you may want to return your sharps to shiloh and have them open up the chamber. That's what I had to do. I am the second owner of mine. A friend of mine had it built I bought it from him several years later.. Seam the breach was made tighter than should be. May have been by request I'm not sure. Don't temember. To long ago. Anyway since it has been opened up no problems I can get more than 15 rounds of w/o brushing out. Before only 2 or 3. Talk to shiloh about it.
Please understand that I'm not trying to be a wise guy, and I've never used a BP substitute. Why would you have concerns safety wise with black powder as opposed to 777?
From snapcap14. What I'm I missing here. Who said anything about safety? My post is about how many shots between cleaning breach. And what was was fpund to be my problem
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

varsity07840 wrote:
snapcap14 wrote:
varsity07840 wrote:
Please understand that I'm not trying to be a wise guy, and I've never used a BP substitute. Why would you have concerns safety wise with black powder as opposed to 777?
From snapcap14. What I'm I missing here. Who said anything about safety? My post is about how many shots between cleaning breach. And what was was fpund to be my problem
I assumed that your mention of your grandson still having all his fingers and both eyes was a reference to to black powder vs.777.
That was someone else's comment not snapcap14. Who is me.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
WileyCoyote

Post by WileyCoyote »

I don't remember if I ever weighed in on this or not. I spent a lot of time nitrating paper and then using it. I couldn't tell one iota of difference.