Cleaning of the Shiloh '63 Percussion Rifle

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Todd Birch

Cleaning of the Shiloh '63 Percussion Rifle

Post by Todd Birch »

My apologies for the multiple posting - server glitch.

I cleaned my bore today before leaving the range.
I find it more convenient to clean the block at home. I don't know what I'd do without pipe cleaners and Q-Tips.

Pyrodex fouling makes it pretty hard to remove the gas plate. I had to give it a soak in WD 40 to loosen it.

So far that's my only complaint about using Pyrodex pellets. Small price to pay for the expediency of making up good looking, convenient cartridges.

Hey Gregg, what's the # of your carbine? My rifle is #1250.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
OMD

Post by OMD »

Todd,

I found that "windex multi-surface cleaner with vinegar" works pretty good for cleaning up Pyrodex residue. If the WD-40 is not working, you might want to try Kroil. In any event, like you, I give my breech block a thorough cleaning when I get home from the range.

Owen
Todd Birch

Care & Cleaning the '63

Post by Todd Birch »

Owen

I will most certainly try Windex with vinegar to cut the crud. I've been using a mix of winter grade windshield fluid, Murphy's Oil Soap and Mr. Clean. It works well on BP but not so well on Pyrodex.

Years ago I guided a party of German tourists I knew when I was president of the Canadian Blackpowder Federation into a punchbowl lake on the Hudson's Bay Brigade Trail.
They wanted to bring their rifles. I did not. Too tough and the rifles were going to get beaten up. I ended up packing the Sharps .54 carbine for one of them. He had a box full of prepared cartridges.
When we got there, they wanted to plink into the water from a distance. Then we got into closer targets. A branch on a snag was missed by all and it was now up to me.
I asked where I had to hold and touched off. The branch disappeared! That was my baptism of fire with the Sharps and one of those shots you don't forget.

This has nothing to do with the topic - just a good '63 tale.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Todd,
Untill, today I didn't know this forum existed! Wow! Is this your ladie's carbine now? Mine is SN. 1271. Man there is a lot of good stuff on this site.
Best, Gregg.
Todd Birch

'63 Carbine

Post by Todd Birch »

Hi Gregg

The carbine I mentioned in my last posting was a "Spaghetti" Sharps. It was a fun gun, but not a good gun in alpine country! Had we stumbled upon a bear who wanted to contest the trail, it would have settled the matter.

The .45 Farm'er I hope to negotiate away from a friend may be 'hers' if she wants to shoot it. I'm bringing her along slowly. Right now she finds 55 grs FFG behind a Minie a bit much in my Enfields.

I'm running a "gong shoot" at an Easter BP match our club is hosting. Once the smoke clears, the ML winner will shoot off against the cartridge winner. I'll be in there with my '63 rifle.

Todd
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Todd,
Your rifle is 1250, I misread, or assumed wrong.
Thanks, Gregg
JMLange

Cleaning of the '63 Shiloh Percussion Rifle

Post by JMLange »

When you reassemble your rifle, try a light coating of Birchwood-Casey Choke Lube on the cleanout screw, gas plate sleeve, nipple threads, and if it's Italian, as much of the bouching sleeve as you can.

John
Todd Birch

Birchwood-Casey Choke Lube

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey John

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a go. Sounds like it might be the answer to getting things apart in a '63.

Birchwood-Casey products are generally pretty good stuff. Kind of like the name, too......

Regards, Todd
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

John,
This was a great tip. I'll be anxious to see if my gas seal fouling is lessoned a great deal, I usually take it out once at least in an extended session.
Gregg