Shiloh Sharps 1863 Nipple

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
JamesW

Shiloh Sharps 1863 Nipple

Post by JamesW »

I have an 1863 Shiloh Sharps. I finally got a correct nipple wrench and took off the nipple. I found out it was brass. It's apparently the correct size, because it fits. I'm assuming it's 5/16X28. However, the exit hole seems small. Much smaller than the cap hole. I don't think this nipple is original and have had problems with misfire. Is the exit hole suppose to be the same size as the cap end hole? I can always drill it out, but need guidance on this. I don't suppose original Shiloh nipples are available. Thanks
Jay Yuskaitis

Re: Shiloh Sharps 1863 Nipple

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

They are available, or were with my last order. I don't like to put anything in thru the nipple other than hot water and compressed air. JMWO Jay Y.
JamesW

Post by JamesW »

Jay Yuskaitis wrote:They are available, or were with my last order. I don't like to put anything in thru the nipple other than hot water and compressed air. JMWO Jay Y.
Thanks. I'll contact them. I didn't see any on the website. Doesn't mean they aren't there.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

FLASH CHANNEL NEED TO BE CLEA.R ALSO THE CLEAN OUT SCREW NEEDS TO BE SET AT THE PROPER DEPTH. PUT A DRILL IN THE CONE THEN BRING THE CLEAN OUT SCREW UP TO IT. NIPPLE HOLE NEEDS TO BE SMALL TO KEEP THE FLASH CONDENCED. THERE ARE TWO 90 DEG TURNS TO GET TO THE BREACH. TOTAL LENGTH FROM NIPPLE TO BREACH IS ABOUT 1" OR SO. LONG WAY FOR THE FLASH TO TRAVEL. CAPS NEED TO BE THE HOTEST YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON.
IF YOU CONTINUE W MISS FIRES I WOULD CALL CHARLIE HAHN. ABOUT DOING BLOCK WORK.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA