Clean out screw

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
milcol

Clean out screw

Post by milcol »

I just picked up a 1863 Shiloh Sharps Carbine (Farmingdale) dropped the breech block and cleaned it but could not get the clean out screw out, tried penetrating oil heat and it would not budge,I do not want to twist the head off or spread the slot any other ideas, does Shiloh do any work on these.
Thanks
George Babits

Re: Clean out screw

Post by George Babits »

Keep it wet with penetrating for for a couple of days. Kroil is probably the best penetrating oil to use. Do you have a set of "mag-tip" screw drivers and a drill press? If you have both, you can use the tightest fitting screwdriver tip for the screw slot in the drill press chuck. Pull down the quill to set the blade firmly in the slot. Hold the block with one hand and use the other hand to turn the chuck. If it is going to come out, that will almost always do it.

Good luck,
George
Salmon, Idaho
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

IF YOU CAN'T get it out send it to charlie Hahn. he will get it out and replace it w his clean out screw that takes a hex key. or even if you do i would order one of his screws. have one in my shiloh.
i beleive he is on this BB. I have his phone and address if you need it.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

s and s firearms $10 has a clean out screw. I have one on order for my original now.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

Put it in the freezer overnight. then put it on a vise or metal base, get a round punch, not a pointed one, and TAP it firmly..
that will loosen the seal that has developed. you can drill center and use a screw remover ACE hardware, and try that..it should come out.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

OK the S and S Sharps clean out screw came today. very well made to 'almost' fit my 63 original carbine.
under $20 with shipping......well made....but it needed a little work on the head.
I had to clean out the hole very well...it finally sunk to full depth, but needed to have the head filed down a 'hair' to fit flush with the block.
I then turned it in a drill, pushing against sandpaper to round off as it should be, a little gun blue and it's in for good.

It is invisible anyway, but the screw is available and it works..

Ken
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Now you need to adjust the depth of the screw. Put the screw in. Then a drill bit in the cone until it bottoms out on the clean out screw or back of block. then back the screw out if the bit hits it . . Remove the bit and you are set. Length of clean out screw is very important. It prevents the flash from over shooting the cone or if to long blocks the flash channel
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Soak it with a 50:50 mix of ATF and Acetone
Last edited by John Boy on Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
John
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

SNAPCAP. that is interesting about the length of the screw. I don't intend to fire it, but I'll check just in case. If it seems too long, would you take a little off the end???? Ken
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

if someone has an original, could you measure the cleanout screw
total length, and also distance from the last thread on the screw..

thanks..Ken
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Mines a Shiloh so can’t help.
Yes on I never had one too long just to short. I would think you could grind a little off if to long. Not sure what that would do to the hardness. Maybe check w Charlie Hahn. Or someone else will weigh in
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

I popped a cap just to see. smoke came out of the barrel...so something is getting through.
flash visible at the gap though....
like I said...I'm not going to shoot it, just want to get it back to cW condition. The gun is really nice and clean..
bore cleaned up sharp and new...when I got it, it was covered with sticky oil, grease, moose piss???
took a lot of alcohol to clean it up and do the for end repair, but it is sharp and clean now. even the inspectors marks were under the sludge.
all there too....
shaprs percussion 3.jpg
shaprs percussion 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.