'63 Carbine

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.

'63 Carbine

Post by Guest »

Man, did I miss this site being down! Good to have it on line again....

Recently I had the opportunity to look at and handle a Farmingdale '63 carbine in .45 calibre. I had intended to trade an Argentine rolling block in .43 Spanish for it, but on closer examination, declined the offer.

I was quite surprised by the poor balance and shortness of the butt stock compared to my '63 rifle. I also found the sights less than a joy although they appear similar to those on my rifle. The screw on the slide was quite distracting and I found that it was competing with the front sight for my attention.
Not only that, the owner had broken off the head of the flash channel screw due to neglect and continued to fire the rifle thereafter. I believe that the gas plate was probably fused to the block.
All of this is correctable at a price, of course, whereas my .43 is in 'go mode' right now c/w with brass, dies and mould and sizer die.

Pity - I was hoping to acquire it for a lady friend.

"And yes, it's true what they say of war and war's alarms
but Oh, that I was young again, and held her in my arms!"

Todd
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Todd,
Remember, this carbine might have been an aberation as mine fits me like the proverbial glove, it a .54. Help me out guys, are not the dimensions of the rifle and carbine exact, or near so, save for the end peice? A Farmingdale or Montana '63 carbine in .54 should meet your exacting scrutiny Mr. Birch.
Gregg
hiasom

Post by hiasom »

don't know for sure bout all of them but my SRC and Musket are exactly the same course they were made side by side in 1976
i think the shorter barrel of the carbine makes it feel different
gmartin

1863 Rifle, Carbine comparison.

Post by gmartin »

Hiasome,
Hello. I wonder about the concerns Todd had with that carbine concerning sights. My carbine is serial # 1271, made and purchased @ 1978. The sight at 200 yards was non existent until I went to work with a jewler's file, probably a rash move. The regular sight, at 100 yds., I believe could be more defined, perhaps a deeper, cleaner notch. Are the Musket and the carbine identical on yours? What may be their SN ? If I remember correctly 1976 was the first year they were offered.
Best, Gregg