Breech Seizing

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Shooter of BP

Re: Breech Seizing

Post by Shooter of BP »

Does anyone know of a place where someone with a Shiloh SC Robinson might be able to purchase a new face plate for the breech block?
If the SC Robinson does not have the sliding sleeve in the chamber then I'm back to my starting point.
Shooter of BP
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Call Shiloh, they may have what you need, or direct you to someone who can help
Tom
Shooter of BP

Post by Shooter of BP »

Will give them a call tomorrow. Is the BB face when clean suppose to be loose enough that you can remove it with just finger pressure? The ring on mine was out of round and had to be forced out with tools. I very carefully got it to within 1/1000 of being perfectly round. Still didn't stop the breech from seizing up.
Shooter of BP
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Yea, mine is loose as a goose too when clean. Bitch to get off after a dozen or so rounds. Let us know what you find out. I have ming greased up with anti siezing compound now and just waiting for a decent afternoon to see if that helps any.

George
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Gentlemen,
The breech ring in both of my originals are pretty tight. I need the tool to remove them, and to reinstall, I get it started and squeeze the block in a machine vise with even pressure until it is seated. Both blocks are near mint condition,rust and corrosion is not an issue. If the ring pried out with a screw driver, this will ruine it. The pressure of tipping it in the housing to get it out, will make it undersized and out of round.the tool pulls the ring streight out with even pressure, and should be reinstalled the same way...
Tom
NMLRA Past Pres.

Post by NMLRA Past Pres. »

Hello:

One very capable resource with a long and respected track record with Sharps caplock carbines and rifles is Charley Hahn at Hahn Machine Works. Google him and get his input. He is revered within the North-South Skirmish Ass'n. for solving problems like yours.

Respectfully,
Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.
Trust a good woman. Her brain IS hardwired differently than a man's.
Most women can smell sin over the telephone; try it sometime. Haha. Love.
tazwellboy

Post by tazwellboy »

Howdy, I have a Shiloh (pre-Bryan) 1863 military rifle in .54 built in 1986. Kirk cut a dove tail for an adjustable front sight, and fixed the gas plate plus fitted an extra one. I am good for another 500,000 rounds! Steve Brooks mould, Charlie Hahn tubes, 62 grains Swiss 1.5, RWS caps and extreme pressure grease. Coat all parts after cleaning with anti-seize and never look back. 100 rounds no cleaning.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf." George Orwell
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

call charlie Hahn or find him on the N-ssa board. He is also on here. look him up go to guy for sharps. the gas checks need to be fitted. you need to send the whole gun. not just your block.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Shooter of BP

Post by Shooter of BP »

I have a friend with a SC Robinson like mine. I am going to see him this weekend. We are going to compare the breech blocks and face plates to see the differences. He is not having any problems with his. Can fire 20+ shots without any problem. Will make a decision on what to do after we compare the rifles. May have to get in touch with Mr. Hahn after the inspection.
Thanks for the reply.
Shooter of BP
lmcmahon

Post by lmcmahon »

snapcap14 wrote:call charlie Hahn or find him on the N-ssa board. He is also on here. look him up go to guy for sharps. the gas checks need to be fitted. you need to send the whole gun. not just your block.
I second what Snapcap recommends. I have a SC Robinson carbine with Charlie's mods. Can shoot a 40 to 50 rounds during a skirmish without the breech freezing up. here's Charlie's phone # 410-208-4736. I chose to have both the o'ring mod and the breech block mod done on mine.
N-SSA
TW-136
lmcmahon

Post by lmcmahon »

snapcap14 wrote:call charlie Hahn or find him on the N-ssa board. He is also on here. look him up go to guy for sharps. the gas checks need to be fitted. you need to send the whole gun. not just your block.
I second what Snapcap recommends. I have a SC Robinson carbine with Charlie's mods. Can shoot a 40 to 50 rounds during a skirmish without the breech freezing up. here's Charlie's phone # 410-208-4736. I chose to have both the o'ring mod and the breech block mod done on mine.
N-SSA
TW-136
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning,
None of the shilohs have a floating sleeve, and I have never seen an original with one unless it was tampered with. When they made those older guns they sometimes weren't keeping everything parallel. That along with a loose gas plate is your problem. The plate needs to be tight, to where you have to put a lot of thumb pressure to put it in. I use anti seize with assembly. We have shot a full sil. match with them before and not had a problem.
I am working on serial # 315 right now that had the same issue.
Instead of the 5/8 dia. chamber, I use 9/16, same I.D. as the gas plate hole. This is what all of my guns have. When closed, the explosion can not touch either face, which eliminates gas cutting and sticking.

Kirk,
Shooter of BP

Post by Shooter of BP »

Sorry for the delay in this report. Life has got in the way. Anyway this is an update. A friend loaned me his Robinson. I placed his breech block and faceplate into my receiver to see if it would work correctly. I fired five shots and the block would fall as easily on the last shot as it did on the first shot. I then placed my faceplate into his breech block and fired. No problems. Then I placed my BB and FP into his receiver. Three shots later and the leaver was very hard to operate. Same problem that was happening in my carbine. So it seems that the breech block would be the problem. I took measurements and it looks like my BB is slightly larger that my friends. I may try removing a small amount of metal off the backside of my block. Any suggestions from other members? Thanks for the inputs.
Shooter of BP
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

The gas check plate on my Shiloh '63s requires removal with a pair of small screwdrivers with the block held in a padded vise.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

lmcmahon wrote:
lmcmahon wrote:
Thanks for posting Charlies number I did not have it. I emailed him. Ordered some tuber to fit the brooks mold I have. I've been shooting Mooses bagden stile leaves a nice clean hole. FYI the bags on is not shown on moose sight I like that since it shoots so good. LOL. Takes a diffrent length tube. Will catch you in Va. If you want some to try I will bring you some
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA