'63 Gas Check Removing Tool

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Terry,
Thanks sir. I would agree as to the desire for acuurate reproduction to a "T", but of course Shiloh produces such a fine product in their '63's that I've no problem, as you obviuosly do not either, with owning as many as I deem necessary. Siles?, I care, don't know much about them. With a Sharps bought new, however, I go domestic.
Gregg
kayjay

Does my rifle have the removable sleeve ?

Post by kayjay »

Ive looked thru the posts here - my rifle is ser # 842 labeled Farmingdale NY with wolf head on the barrel. Ive never had the sleeve out (or tired to take it out).

Does it have sleeve ? If it has sleeve is it worth trying to remove?

thnak you

PS is 62 54 cal military
K Kelley
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Kayjay,
Hello. It doesn't have a moveable sleeve as the other reproductions might and/or do. At least no Shiloh '63's I know of do. You should find this discussed in length on this site I believe, but Shiloh's gas seal models rely on exact tolerences between the breech and breech block. Mine has never had a problem in 28 years with gas leakage, a Farmingdale carbine in .54 SN 1271 @ 1978. The wolf's head, doesnt have it, that is a neat item, good for you. Believe I've seen it displayed only on those <1000 series.
Gregg
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

Hi

I have two Montana 63 Shilohs one being made just last year and there
is no bushing in my rifles.
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
SHARPS54

63 bouching

Post by SHARPS54 »

Gregg,
The 63 has a non removable sleeve. The bouching is machined on the end of the barell. Its the plate on the block that seals the chamber.If the plate moves freely then there is no need for the o ring mod. I have no problems with my 63 carbine that i have shot for 25 years with the N-SSA.I have shot thousands of rounds with no leakage,just keep it clean!
Rick
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Sharps 54,
People are incredulous when I tell them that I to have had no leakage problems ever in nearly 3 decades of use with my carbine, even with a crescent scar on my gas seal for years that meant the bouching and it were no longer alligned. The problem there was a lever that was worn and allowed the breech block to travel down ward excessively. These are such well made rifles. I feel honored to own the one and only (for now) I do.
Gregg
Todd Birch

cavitation

Post by Todd Birch »

Grogg

I have the same crescent scar of the shear plate of my three bander '63.

I'm getting a little gas blow by which requires me to spritz a little cleaning solution after 5-6 shots to open the breech.

TB
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Todd,
Fire your rifle over a clean white towell on the bench to see how much it does do that. I span the lever pin and lever with my left hand when I go off hand and haven't felt it hot ever. Every '63 type binds up eventually, I hadn't thought of that as a reason. Hmmm...
Gregg
Todd Birch

cavitation

Post by Todd Birch »

The cavitation is at the top of the recess, not the bottom. Any gas blow by would be in that direction.

T
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"