Finally shot my 63

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Boston Bill

Finally shot my 63

Post by Boston Bill »

I got a new to me 1863 Farmingdale carbine serial #4xx. In 50 caliber. Love it and that was before shooting it! Could not get the gas plate off and had to use phosphoric or phosphorous acid to free it up with a huge amount of prying the plate off. Just guessing but it looks like it had never before been fired. The plate was clean underneath just was not fitted to the block very well. Basically had to tap it back into plate then a lot of prying to get it off again. Performed some very careful firing and it will press on fairly easily and have to be easily pried off now. I placed some bore butter under it so it would be ready for my range session.
After using the acid it took off the finish on the block, that will have to go back to the mother ship.
So I get her out to the range yesterday and using the Hornady 385 grain 50 caliber Great Plains bullet and 48 grains of FFFg Elephant black powder, started to try to make some holes in my 100 yard paper target.
Took a good 10 rounds to get the feel of the gun and how to hold the forearm up. At 100 yards it has potential. Me thinks it does shoot better than me. I am not a 100 yard shooter but it was fun!!!
I swabbed the bore a bit between shots and was not to hard to clean up at home at all. The gas plate even came right off easily and I did not experience any blow by at the range. I assume I would have noticed?
Happy Shooting!!! :D
snapcap14

Re: Finally shot my 63

Post by snapcap14 »

I've tryed that bullet. It's ok not great.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Boston Bill

Post by Boston Bill »

Hi snapcap14.

I agree.

But I am also not a rifle shooter and not a 100 yard shooter. Tho I think the spread I got on my 2nd set of 10 shots I thought was fairly respectable under the circumstances. New to me carbine and learning how to handle it, the creep in the trigger. It was just a blast.

I did get 50 hollow base flat nose Minie balls from Track of the Wolf and 40 Thompson Center Maxi Balls to try out. I also am waiting for 100 rounds of the Steve Brooks mold that is a ring tail bullet and a Lyman 515141 50/70 bullet. I ordered them from Pat Kaboskey.

If you have any other recommendations I would love to hear it. Or I guess read it!
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

The brooks mold I have shoots very well. At 100.
Mine is designed for Charlie's tubs . I don't know how to post pics so I cant. Wi tell you mine likes 42 grn of 2ffg.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Boston Bill

Post by Boston Bill »

Can't wrap my head around casting. I will have to buy my bullets.
I reload all my handgun rounds with lead bullets, I just would rather shoot, reload and clean guns than add casting to my routine. But I am really getting bit by the Sharps virus!!!
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Are you anywhere near Hopkinton Mass. There are civel war shoot. Don't have the schedule in front of me. Also for more on the sharps go to the N-SS sight.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Boston Bill

Post by Boston Bill »

Am on Cape Cod, maybe 1 1/2 from there. They have a small gun show once a year or so I believe.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Ok .Nss-a Web sight lists all shoots. If you have any interst in checking it out. Carbine is shot on saturday.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA