Brass cartridge sleeves

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
jmr600

Brass cartridge sleeves

Post by jmr600 »

Has anybody tried these cartridge sleeves in their 1863, and how did they extract.
snapcap14

Re: Brass cartridge sleeves

Post by snapcap14 »

I have not but it's been addressed before. Do a search. also on other boards.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
jmr600

Post by jmr600 »

I did a search, looking for first hand use.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Yea don't Remember which board had first hand. All I know is you need a pick to remove them thru the flash hole or a rod to knock them out thru the barrel. Not worth it. My I ask whey you want to go that route?
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I have a pair of Farmingdale Shiloh military rifles. In the one, I use nitrated paper cartridges. In the other, I use a "brass sleeve" with a nice rim on it called the 50-70. Both work very well when used as designed. To me, using a "brass sleeve" in an 1863 rifle or carbine misses the whole idea of shooting one in the first place. Just my opinion.

George
Salmon, Idaho
jmr600

Post by jmr600 »

Thanks for the replies guys, no I have no intention of using them. I come across those in a search I was doing and I was wondering if anybody tried them, I can just imagine ejection problems. I use my own homemade paper cartridges for my 1863. I have no intention of changing.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I've gone from rolling my own to Charlie's cardboard tubes. They work great. Won't fall apart and less time consuming.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Yes, but being an incurable tightwad I'll keep rolling my own. Saves ten cents/round and is the way it is/was designed.

George
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

27.jpg
First post. I got me an old -59/-63 a short while back. Opted to make cartridges out of shrink sleeve. Have done so before for other rifles,one of them being the french made Chassepot in approx 45-90,where the others have had a way better sealed off chamber. This has rendered that the remains of the cartridge and what not has been pulled out the snout of the rifles in case.
Not so with the Sharps.
That said making paper cartridges out of shrink sleeve still has merit IMO as it makes for a WAY more sturdy cartridge. Just be prepared to extract the remains of the semi shrunk sleeve manually.

Have turned a mandrel out of aluminium that i put the bullet ontop of. Then heat the shrink sleeve with a heatgun,where the bullet gets "crimped" in place too.
Then,as you can see,put them in a loading block and fill them up. Seal it off either with large cigarette paper och end roll paper. Works and works very well.
Grease them in one of Pedersolis "greasers".
29.jpg
26.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

Oh.
That said i´m going to look into making 28ga cases work. Mainly as it cuts down on the mess at the range,or at least that´s what i hope for.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Why bother? If you want a removable cartridge gun just go buy a cartridge gun. The thing about the 59/63 there is nothing to remove just load shoot reload shoot nothing to remove. Either roll your own or us charlie Hahn tubes.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

...which was the original idea.
Please read again. Issue is that the breech of the Sharps simply isn´t tight/sealed off enough.
gmkmd

Post by gmkmd »

A friend of mine tried those brass sleeves from Pedersoli once. After firing, the brass sleeve shifted rearward slightly into the combustion recess in the breechblock, making it impossible to open the action. It took quite some doing to get the gun open again. Needless to say, he didn’t use them again.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Jesper wrote:...which was the original idea.
Please read again. Issue is that the breech of the Sharps simply isn´t tight/sealed off enough.
Then have it fixed several guys do them. Had 2 of mine done no leaks and can shoot all day wo taking apart
Not that expensive to have done.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

61.jpg
62.jpg
Nah. Went a different route all said n done. Point here is that gastight cartridge guns are under permit to us. The 59/63 is not. I thus cut a new chamber insert on my lathe to take cut down 28ga brass shotshells. The little cutout is to extract. Gun is still a cap gun.

Turned into an approx 54-120 gun. Works very very well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.