Shiloh Bullet Molds

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Buzzard II

Shiloh Bullet Molds

Post by Buzzard II »

I have a chance to purchase two Shiloh molds. One is marked D451/0250 and the other is D452/0458. Does anyone know exactly what they are. I only know they are "trashcan" style molds. I have a .54 Farmingdale SC Robinson, will bullets cast from these molds fit? Thanks very much.
Bob
Buzzard II

Re: Shiloh Bullet Molds

Post by Buzzard II »

Hey, don't everyone rush to answer all at once! Does anyone know? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

They were made back in New York for a short period of time. As far as the numbers, I couldn't tell you, you will just have to measure them.

Kirk,
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Shiloh Products in Farmingdale made various accessories and accoutrements for Civil War re-enactors, including bullet molds for the old (and reproduction) guns. Later the owner tooled up to make replicas of Sharps rifles and the rest is history.

Just a guess, but the numbers likely relate to casting diameter and weight. Newer mould makers tended to have more descriptive data in their numbering system, as opposed to the catalog numbers or top punch codes the old manufacturers used. The only Shiloh Products mould I have is one of their roundball 4-bangers (2 on top, 2 on the bottom), marked “454 RB.”

A set of calipers along the cavity edges should at least tell you whether the castings will fit in your .54 cal.
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

Thank you guys! I was hoping someone knew what the numbers meant. I will measure the molds and dropped bullets next casting session. Thanks again!
Bob