CS Richmond Bullet Mold

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
VenisonRX

CS Richmond Bullet Mold

Post by VenisonRX »

Anyone use the Eras Gone bullet mold that copies the original .54cal CS Richmond bullet profile? Got a Shiloh 63 carbine and was looking to try it. Curious if anyone here has any experiences with it yet.
—Tom
Eric Johanen

Re: CS Richmond Bullet Mold

Post by Eric Johanen »

I have 2 molds from Eras Gone .36 and .44 conical for the revolvers. They are aluminum from Lee Precision and the cavities are cut very nice. I soot them with a wooden match and they drop very nice bullets. I can not see any reason why these would not shoot very well. Let us know how they work out.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I had the NEI copy of the Confederate sharps mold. very good at 50 yrds found it a little light for 100yrds.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

I went ahead and ordered a set. I’ll post my results once I can cast some up and shoot them.
—Tom
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Got the mold in the mail. Seems just as well made as any of the other Lee molds. Any tips on making paper cartridges for them? Was looking at doing the period correct ones for the early war with the flat tails. Haven’t tried the more conventional type with the flat rear end.
—Tom
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Honestly I prefer Charlie Hahn's tubes. so much simpler and faster than roll your own. glue paper in the end fill w power set a wad to hold the powder in place glue the bullet in, lube and your done.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

I glanced at his website once and couldn’t really figure it out. Just call or email him asking to order some?
—Tom
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

best to call him. that way he can tell you how to figure what length tube you need. measurement basically is seat a bullet measure to your breach. then add the rigetail depth back in.
you can try but more than likely you will not be able to get a hold of him this week. He is no dough at the N-ssa national in Winchester Va this week.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

I’ll try to see if I can get a few cast in the next week or two. Wouldn’t mind having a load ready for deer season. Fortunately I have some time before modern gun season as breech loaders in Arkansas are not considered muzzle loaders. Just gotta find some more lead. This bullet doesn’t have a ring tail so hopefully he has a tube that’ll work.
—Tom
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Ok I looked at it again on line that base should fit in charlies tubes. I do not remember the base dim. won't have time to check it I'm leaving for Va. tonight for the N-SSA nationals.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

68.jpg
69.jpg
I´ve used it for a while by now and couldn´t be happier. Expensive for a simple LEE mold? Might be but on the other hand..a quality product.
Normally when casting with the aluminium LEE molds i keep two such on the table and cast two different bullets at the same time. This keeps the temp of the molds within reason and hands me way more consistent and better looking boolits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Jesper,

Which method of rolling cartridges for them do you like? Using them in a Shiloh I assume?

Tom
—Tom
geezmo

Post by geezmo »

Here's a link to a video by Mark Hubbs of Eras Gone bullet molds. A history of and directions for making your own Richmond style cartridges for use with your Richmond style bullet mold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ggj_uPEXiU&t=9s
VenisonRX

Update

Post by VenisonRX »

Managed to cast some bullets with the mold, finally. 2 things happened. Was very impressed by the bullets that it dropped and very impressed with the customer service down there in Alabama. One of the tines that comes out of the mold handle had warped somehow and had one side of the mild pointed up slightly. It wouldn’t close all the way. I sent a message to Mark with a couple pictures of the problem to ask if I would void any kind of warranty trying to bend it back and he offered to send me a new one. Great guy and cares about history and what he does.

I used the video to make the Richmond style cartridges and they turned out ok. I tried normal copy paper and coffee filters. Not very impressed with copy paper. Was difficult to work with and I don’t see it cutting very easily by the block. Here’s a picture of one made from a coffee filter. Gonna try to shoot it this weekend. Will post results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
—Tom
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Nice can’t wait to see how it works
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA