A few more notes on the '63 carbine

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I don't even own a sharps percussion rifle but you guys have made this one of the more interesting forums that I read. I shoot a Browning Mountain Rifle in .50 percussion, now you're making me wish it was a sharps!!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Well Ken, there's a solution to that.....

It involves an exchange between you and the good folks at Shiloh Rifle Manufacturing Company.

However, if you're going to allow fear and common sense to interfere with a good time (not to forget a loving wife that you want to keep that way) then it ain't gonna happen......

"If wishes were horses than beggars would ride...."; line from Ian Tyson song.

I think my toys oughta be collectively named "Instead of", the name I once saw on a sailboat.
You know; 'instead of' a new vehicle, instead of remodelling the house, instead of an overseas vacation, instead of......

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I guess I'd better keep the Johnathon Browning, I can hunt in the muzzleloader season with it, and I don't think you can with the sharps.
Shiloh Rules!!
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Ken,

Your right about hunting in the muzzleloading season with the Browning. That's a fine looking rifle and looses nothing to the '63 Sharps in power and time needed for cleaning. It just shoots slower but nothing wrong with that.

Off the subject slightly but if you ever consider a '63 Shiloh, I'd suggest keep looking for a used one. People don't really value the paper cartridge Shiloh's as much as the '74 cartridge guns and I've seen a few real good deals on them, used but in almost new condition. Especially the sporting rifles. Keep checking the used gun sites and the N-SSA bulletin board. A few months ago, a fellow on the N-SSA site had a '63 Shiloh military rifle for sale for $1200. Not a bad price.

Rich
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Rich/Ken

Check the site of Milarm.com in Edmonton, Alberta.

Amigo and I have both bought Shiloh Sharps rifles from them recently; an estate sale, his a '63 sporter, mine the '74 Military Rifle.

Yes, you can import them if you are willing to go through the hoops. They can advise you on the procedures. It will most likely have to be shipped to an American FFL holder. Check it out with BATF.

I have sold guns to Americans this way but that was before 911. Things might have changed.

I have toyed with the idea of muzzleloading a '63. One could insert a paper tube charge in the breech and load a patched round ball from the muzzle or even pour loose powder from the muzzle.

How does this differ from the in-lines? Both would be meeting the letter of the law if not the spirit of the game and the Sharps is infinitely more historically correct.

You're running out of reasons why not to own a '63, my friend!

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Maybe I could find some sucker, er that is, dandy to make me an even swap?? ha ha, yeah right!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Todd Birch

....swap....

Post by Todd Birch »

"One man's junk is another man's treasure".

Stranger things have happened. I got my '63 Military for such a ridiculously low price, I don't even want to mention it.
Had it been a cartridge gun, it would have commanded quadruple the price.

I do know of an identical rifle for sale but the owner is asking top dollar for it. It is a Farmingdale and in excellent condition.

I was interested until a Farmingdale '74 Military going for considerably less winked at me and I was smitten. Fickle I may be, but at least I'm consistent.

Todd
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I think I'll start hitting the gun shows again, maybe I can strike up a deal. Tnanks.
Shiloh Rules!!
nineteen76

A few more notes on the 63 Carbine

Post by nineteen76 »

Ken,
Todd Birch is right about one man's junk being another man's treasure and you never know where you will find it.
I have been buying and selling Shiloh's (mostly buying) for 10 plus years
and have never run across a deal quite like this one...........take a gander at www.auctionarms.com ,go into "SEARCH" in blue at the top of the page.......type in Sharps in "Search Phrase or Item#".........then where it says "WHEN"........
select " ended in the last 60 days", then click the SEARCH button at the bottom......go to page 2 and scroll down and click on Auction #5705745 "C.SHARPS-ARMS OLD RELIABLE-SRC 45/70 SHILO RIFLE CO."
Wait for the pictures to download. This auction lasted for 4 hours.......I do not know how.....my suspicion is that people see the C. SHARPS ARMS and are turned off.
The Carbine is an 1874 SRC of course. The barrel is marked Old Reliable, C. Sharps Arms (Shiloh's old Distributor) and the receiver SHILOH RIFLE MFG. CO. , BIG TIMBER MONTANA....with the Wolf's Head on the side flat of the barrel....meaning that Wolfgang himself worked on this one. There is no FREE BORE in the chamber and it is absolutley LIKE NEW..... for the "BUY IT NOW" price of $799.00....... so....... HAPPY HUNTING!!
Chris
PS: I too hunt whitetails with a Browning Mountain Rifle in 50 caliber. Gives us "One More Reason for One More Season"!!!!
Last edited by nineteen76 on Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
nineteen76

A few more notes on the 63 Carbine

Post by nineteen76 »

No message
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Chris,

Wow, what a deal. Even if you didn't want the gun in 45/70, you could send it back to Kirk and have it rebarreled for $500 and still have a good rifle.

There's a used '63 in 54 cal. on Gunsamerica for $1300. Not cheap but if there's over a year's production time for a new Shiloh, someone could buy that, shoot it for a year, get the new rifle and sell the used one for the original purchase price. Eliminates the waiting time.

Rich
nineteen76

Post by nineteen76 »

Rich,

It has become somewhat of a game.......to find the best prices on these wonderful rifles. The collection grows!
Deals are out there, one needs to have patience.
I have considered having this one rebarreled to a 50/70 with a 28" heavy full octagon, Hartford collar, Hartford pewter forearm and a Military sling swivel added to the buttstock. It would look like a converted '63 Military Carbine (with the Saddle-ring and bar still attached) like the one in Sellers book.
I could then sell the 45/70 carbine barrel and forearm to recover some of the cost.

Good Shoot'n,

Chris
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

nineteen74, thanks for the info. I already have a Shiloh Sporter #1 in 45-70 and have a 50-70 Montanna Roughrider on order, but I might be interested in a '63 percussion. That's all I need is another shooting hobby!!
Shiloh Rules!!
gmartin

More 1863 Shooting

Post by gmartin »

Ken,
People have been providing us all above with fantastic ways to possibly secure a new or used '63. It seems one must have infinite computer screen patience with some, which I do NOT! However you may arrive at the pinacle of Sharps' ownership you will find yourself hooked yet again. '63's are just plain FUN! Everything one may do to improve accuracy and efficiency with a metallic cartridge gun has its parallel with the percussion Sharps. Note the methods of loading, the # of cartridge designs, the bullets that are available, and the surprising accuracy of the variety of styles available. I do indeed hope you are able to own a '63 soon. The people on this forum have been very helpful as well, as I have worked to increase my knowledge of paper cartridges and their construction, their aid has been invaluable.
Dang, couldn't help myself!
By the way, I just love the great big hammer, reciever, and lock, I mean it's 1/2 the rifle! Just too fun!
Gregg
gmartin

More 1863 Shooting

Post by gmartin »

To all,
And cleaning this piece of art borders on a zen like sense of devotion, duty, and otherworldness. I do not jest.
Gregg