A few more notes on the '63 carbine

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
HvyMtl

Muzzleloading a breech loading rifle

Post by HvyMtl »

Hello everyone

In N.J. a muzzle loader is just that, if you can breech load it then it is illegal. They are only to happy to confiscate the gun, and then fight over who gets to take it home. So watch your local laws and keep your guns.

That said, I have taken the chance and hunted with my 1859 Ped. 54. It was on privet land and it was great. I got a doe with it, unfortunately it was at very close range. We have a really big buck on the land that we call bullwinkle ( very big ). I had him at about 75 to 80 yds. broadside to me ( thats the dead zone for this rifle ) but it was doe only days, so I cried and so did the rifle.

Ken
gmartin

More 1863 Shooting

Post by gmartin »

Ken,
Congrats on your deer! So you shot your doe with your Berdan as muzzle loader? I have thought about as an option here in Id. as my .54 carbine won't cut regs., and discussed this at some length, as well as breech loading round balls with Todd Birch. Obviously you didn't load the ball past the throat. If you don't mind, how well does it shoot with the load you used? I'm going to attempt to get a deer regular '63 fashion this season, and I too wish for some distance separating me from deer. Have my carbine coming back from God father today, and alot of cartridges to shoot by weekend.
Best, Gregg
HvyMtl

Still not a muzzle loader

Post by HvyMtl »

No Gregg

You misunderstand me, I loaded the rifle the way I always do. That is drop the bullet in followed by the powder through the breech. It does not matter how you load the rifle they still consider it a breech loading gun, and it is illegal, at least in the Soviet State of N.J.

By the way you will get better accuracy if you load the powder and bullet through the muzzle, it has somthing to do with the bullet engaging the rifling when you push it down the barrel.

Ken
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Ken,
I'm easilly messed up. "I took a chance..." did it for me. Soviet State of N.J., something to think about.
Gregg

P.S. I've shot .577 round balls out of mine in an emercency like that, only backed by a folded paper cartridge when I ran out of proper bullets in a shoot in Alaska on time, shot well as I remember.
Gregg