Lee R.E.A.L bullets

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Amigo

Lee R.E.A.L bullets

Post by Amigo »

Hi
Took my Shiloh 63 sporter to the range the other day to see what she would do.With me I took three types of bullets for comparison, just for the hell of it.The three bullets were: Lee 54 minie, Lee REAL and a Lyman maxi bullet.The range was fifty yards five shots at each target and the powder charge was 80 grains of 3f (all I had at the time) and RS Pryodex.

To my amazement the REAL bullet was the most accrurate of the lot shooting 4 of the five bullets into one ragged hole, followed by the maxi bullet which opened things up a bit but not by much and then came the minie bullet which spread the gropu out some but all the shots landed in the black of the bulleye.This was reapeted three times with the same results.Also want to add that this was loading loose using vaseline as a lubebecause I ran out of spg and couldn t get any before my tripto the range and the guns ' bore was wiped every five shots before using a different bullet.Another thing all this shooting and the breech never froze uP,
This In the future I plan to try one of the Lyman plains moulds just to see if that bullet will shoot as good as the Lee REAL one does.

Jeff
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Amigo, there's a guy on the SASS forum that has a bunch of bullet molds for sale, maybe one would be what you're looking for. www.sassnet.com
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
gmartin

Lee R.E.A.L Bullets

Post by gmartin »

Amigo,
If you're interested. Years ago I tried a T.C. .54 Maxi in my carbine, a bullet I can't find any more, 2 large grease grooves instead of the current Maxi I find now with one, and it shot as well as as the bullet supplied produced from a mould by Shiloh. As with the R.E.A.L. bullet, it was designed to be pounded down a muzzle loading rifle's bore. I shot loose 3fg. powder, the bullet seated with a starter, 60 grns.
I've a minie from RCBS, the Shiloh "Buffalo Slug," and some NEI ringtails given me to try now. All with a paper cartridge. Gee, what are the particulars of the R.E.A.L. bullet?
Somewhere a fellow wrote about his Great Plains Bullets not shooting well from his 3 bander .50. Keep us posted.
You shot RS Pyrodex loose? Flawless ignition? Interesting.
As you, am in love with the '63's.
Ken, looked at the web site you posted but didn't take the time to supply the information to get the information. Tommorow.
Good shooting! Gregg
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

Hi

The REAL bullet I used was the heavier bullet weight of the two moulds that were available at the time I got it years ago.I don t know if they still make the two weights inthe same caliber like they use to.And yes I shot Pyrodex loose.If you have a clean flash channel , good musket caps and make sure you hold the gun muzzleup after you load it and give it a rap with the heel of your hand to settle the powder in the breech somewhat then shooting pryodex loose isn t a problem, well at least it is not for me anyway.I ll let you know when I get the plains mould and try a couple .

Jeff
to aim
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Amigo, que pasa?

A couple of things....

First, thanks for siccing me onto that Farmingdale '74 Military in .50-70. I just picked it up at a good price and have dies and brass on the way.

Do you by any chance know the diameter of the Lee REAL bullet you were using? .54 or .50?
In the SASS newspaper I read a piece by a shooter who was having lead and fouling problems with his cartridge pistols.

He started using the Lee MAXI bullets loaded up with SPG - no more problems!
It strikes me that they might work in my .50 '63 but Lee doesn't list the diameter of their moulds. A phone call would tell me pretty quick.

Way back when life was simple, I used to finger lube as-cast 405 gr. bullets with bicycle wheel bearing grease over 55 grains of FFg. No compression, no wads, no nuthin'.
I don't recall groupings, but I remember being well pleased with the results.

Regards, Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Amigo,
Thanks for your resonse. I no longer loose load to do breech cavitation and the fact that my cartridges did work better and I've had so much fun with them. A buddy had his combustible cartridges not ignite, none of several made, with a fill of RS Pyrodex, so your experience interested me.
Gregg
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

hI Todd

Congrats on getting the 50/70 hope you have a great time with it.The
dia of the Lee REAL bullets in 54 cal are .545.Hope this helps.

Jeff
to aim
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

A ! Try casting the minie with a 1 to 20 or a 1 to 16 tin/lead alloy it should then shoot a tight group with a good lube ! JAGG
JAGG