'63 Postal Shoot

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
gmartin

1863 Postal Shoot

Post by gmartin »

Ken,
Come on now, just kidding, remember who seems to shoot better than who? And I mean by a whole bunch.
Actually, I keep saying to myself that I'm going to try a "control load," consisting of a whole bunch of finger lubed Buffalo's with my folded and sheared off cartridge, as I used to do it in the old days.
Someone told me that it's possible to fire Straight Pyrodex loose loaded so long as one insures the gas seal portion has powder.
Ken, I should have used a smiley faced icon following my absurd comment, but I never have, to anyone, and never will.
I apologize.
Gregg
gmartin

Postal Shoot

Post by gmartin »

To All,
I can't let this go until I am absolved of my sins. One may shoot his '63 in any fashion desired. That is one reason I so love these rifles and this action. I embarassed myself with an absurd statement in a lame attempt at levity.
To a new comer to this forum, what you may have seen concerning the proper means to load for our rifles was wrong. Gregg Martin was wrong. There is no proper way, only preferred ones for each individual.
This is a welcoming forum and as such you are welcome to do as you wish and use the knowledge of the kind folks here to help you along.
Respectfully, Gregg.

P.S. We are trying to organize an informal Postal Shoot and you are welcome, indeed encouraged, to participate.
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Hvy,

I've owned "Phenix" for a little over 20 years so more than likely the warranty has expired. Since Garrett is out of bidness I'm pretty sure it has. Even with all the troubles I've had with it I believe I'll hang on to it. Problem is, one of them, the receiver and barrel are misaligned which makes the tang off. It's not much but uses up all the windage and being off kilter causes some parallax. My machinist tells me he can take care of it when he gets some time and at his prices, free, I can wait.

The selection of the name "Phenix," I prefer that spelling, is a story in it's own right which is best told over a couple bottles of wine or a box of beer.

Bob
HvyMtl

barrel is indexed wrong

Post by HvyMtl »

Bob

Been there done that, thats what was wrong with my Ped 1859. I sent it back & they turned it about 1/4" or less. It shot good the way it was but like you I had to use all of my windage, which annoyed me. I'm sure once you get it fixed you'll be much happier.

Ken
gmartin

Postal Shoot

Post by gmartin »

To all,
We are having fun sorting the final details of the postal shoot. All four of us. This was an open invintation to one and all, very informal, fun yet competitive.
You all are still welcome!
Gregg
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Heads Up!

Just finished loading 50 of the finest .54 Cal. XRS Cartridges in the entire civilized world. Better bring your "A" game.

Bob
gmartin

Postal Shoot

Post by gmartin »

Bob,
Only 50? Tsk, Tsk, It's going to take me that many just to find the 50 yd. target. Seriously, just finally got 200 yd., around a bend and over a hill, but I can see my van, so I hope to be able to see my target butt over the thistle and sagebrush, it honestly may take me that many rounds to find black having never done it before. Still, once I do, have carbine, will travel!
Gregg
Rabert

Post by Rabert »

Did anything happen with this postal shooting up to now?

Best regards

Raberts
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Rabert,

Being the informal shoot that it is, one shooter has had work related time constraints. He requested an extension. We are waiting on one target. When it comes in full results will posted. Only five shooters jumped into the fray.

Thanks for the interest,

Bob
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Rabert,
As Bob said, "Thanks for the interest," and that is well meant. This was informal and was alot of fun. We will be working toward another such shoot for next season, when ever that may be, and you are very welcome to join, as are all '63 shooters. With only 5 participants this year we were an eclectic bunch of shooters, competing with military and sporter type Sharps rifles, all replicas, and all on the same targets. One '63 carbine did surprisingly well amongst the big guns.
You are all are welcome for next year.
Gregg
Rabert

Post by Rabert »

Thanks! :D

Best regards

Rabert