'63 Postal Shoot

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Todd Birch

'63 Postal Shoot

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey you '63 Shooters!

Gregg Martin is on an accuracy hunt with his '63 carbine. I've got a .50 Rifle and really enjoy it.

We've been tossing around the idea of an informal 'postal shoot' to get the best out of our '63s and see what works.

Everyone has a different idea, bullet, loading procedure, etc. What say we do this with the aim in mind of someday gathering together and doing it the way Berdans Sharpshooters did?

I know that the NSSA does this, but it may not be convenient for some to get into that game.

The summer is a bust time for most with holidays planned around shoots, etc., so it may have to wait for fall.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
gmartin

Accuracy Hunt

Post by gmartin »

Todd,
I've tossed around similar ideas in my head a long time. Great Idea! Maybe by fall (another busy time) my "hunt" will have reached a respectable compromise.
I'd also like to put names with faces.
Gregg
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Guys,

Pitch my name in the pot, sounds like a good time. If it can be worked out, planned toward and can sorta pick a centralized location count me in.

Bob
Todd Birch

going "postal"

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Bobby

You got ahead o' me there, bud!

A 'postal match' is just that - we all shoot at home and mail in our targets to the 'judge'.

Getting together on the ground is another matter. Travel costs would be prohibitive for some.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Todd,

Something to think about though. Just jump to a conclusion without giving it much thought. But the postal will work also. Kick it a little harder and come up with the parameters. I have no problem with an honor system shoot.

Bob
Todd Birch

''going Postal"

Post by Todd Birch »

Bobby

OK, try this for size......

I would be of the opinion that the rifles be shot "as issue", two classes:
carbine and rifle.

Or should that be sporter and military? Or both? 100 and 200 yards?

From the bench or off hand? Or both? Target size? Wiping between shots or not?

We have a 200 yard target that measures 12" across (black centre) with scoring rings out to 20", the 6 ring. The 10 ring is 4", 'X' ring 2".

How 'bout using the same target for both distances; 2 sighters and 5 for score; best five counted out of the 7?

Quick and dirty - just like me!

The BPCR guys will laugh at this, but we're playing OUR game and we get to call the shots.

Todd
Todd Birch

....goin' postal....

Post by Todd Birch »

and another thing....well ,more than one....

Breech seating allowed? Any BP or BP substitute?

Who gonna be da judge? Not me - I cheat on my income tax!

Rules, rules, rules, can't get away from them.

Todd
gmartin

'63 Postal Shoot

Post by gmartin »

Todd,
I accept responsibility for Bob's comment with my names woth faces sentence. That too was a jump to conclusions. We had Postal Meets in college when I ran track and x-country, so I knew better.
I printed the ideas on rules so as to better think them out before I blurt another boo-boo. About the only comment I might offer now is that the 12" 200 yd. target be used for all ranges shot, that alone would simplify things. As well, someone(s) would have to be arbitrator, ugh!
This would force some of us to become more computer savvy or/and have our wives and girl friends really prove their love for us.
I'll be back, Gregg
HvyMtl

Great Idea ( Postal Shoot )

Post by HvyMtl »

HI Todd

We have a black powder shoot once every month as follows

Pistols- at 25 yds. as many sighters as you want ( They don't count )
10 shots for score.

Rifles- Off hand at 50 yds. as many sighters as you want ( They don't
count ) 5 shots for score.

Rifles- 100 yds., can use cross sticks, sitting, prone, standing, off hand
( Your choice ) as many sighters as you want ( They don't count)
10 shots for score.

At 50 yds. we use a 50 yd. rifle target the black measures about 625" dia
" 100 yds. we use an SR-1 target the black measures about 8" dia.

Can use BP, or any BP substitute, no duplex loads allowed.

Any shots dividing a line must be clearly more towards the higher point side to get the higher score, or it counts as the lower point.
Thats how we do it, it's just a suggestion.
This should end up being a lot of fun.

Ken

P.S. 200 yd target at 100 yds. :twisted: I mean I don't mind but it is kind of big.
Todd Birch

...goin' postal....

Post by Todd Birch »

Hvymtl

The 10 ring of the 200 yard target I'm talkin' about is 4" across. That ain't easy in my books.
Gregg has suggested we use the same target at 100 and 200 yards. All it does is provide an aiming point.
We are not likely to all have access to identical targets unless someone volunteers to supply targets to all interested parties. That sounds fair.

You brought up a good point - position. Keep it open? X-sticks? Bench?

Off hand at 100? Free style at 200?

Once we post 'possibles', I'll agree that we increase the yardage. Until then, I'll stay humble.

It will be interesting if we list our load on the target or post it here.

Todd
HvyMtl

Postal shoot

Post by HvyMtl »

How about sticks at 100 yds., and off hand at 200 yds. This will show how well everyones load is working and how good a shot we all are ( I'm going to regret suggesting this ).

Actuall sizes of targets we shoot at in our monthly black powder shoot

Rifle at 50 yds. measures over all 5 ring 19 1/2"
8 ring, 8" in the black
10 ring 3 1/4"
X ring 1 5/8"
Rifle at 100 yds. measures over all 5 ring 18 1/4"
9 ring 6 1/4"
10 ring 3 1/4"
X ring 1 1/4"

Ken

P.S. The range at local gun club is only 100 yds. I had to join another club that is further away, but the range is up to 300 yds.,there is'nt much space left in the Soviet republic of N.J.
Todd Birch

...goin' postal....

Post by Todd Birch »

Hvymtl

Cross-sticks at 100? Done.

Off hand at 200? Done.

I've been thinking that I'd like to try my hand at 200 Scheutzen-style shooting anyway. One sight setting, one distance - minimal fuss and bother.

Can you supply us all a few targets? The ones to count being numbered and ID'd with the shooters name.

I think we oughta impose a time limit of 30 days from a set date to have them in the mail. That allows time for people to make up loads, do some practice and then shoot for score.

Comments, suggestions?

Todd
HvyMtl

postal shoot

Post by HvyMtl »

Todd

These targets should be pretty standard sizes. They are official NRA competition targets. The hundred yd. is a #SR-1, 50 yd. is a # B-6. If we all agree on targets sizes with the NRA official competition logo on them we should all be able to get them from our local firearms shops.

Ken
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

At the current time I'm limited to 100 yards. Might be able to get to a 200 yard target but it will be iffy. Regardless I'm in.

Bob
gmartin

1863 Postal Shoot

Post by gmartin »

OK Guys, Here's my two bits,
X-Sticks, Bench, or whatever position you shoot from best for one shoot, at 50, 100, 200 yds. X-Sticks use in my case had better be down hill.
Off Hand at all same yardages or whatever is chosen by concenses. (sp)
My OH will have to OK the use of resting my left elbow on my arm rest, as I lack abdominal support, though I may work hard otherwise.
I still like the Idea of one target size to simplify things, though Ken's targets being NRA sanctioned should be no problem.
Classes for Sporters (those heavy barrels of most do help) who may, or may not, use tang sights, Standard Military types, classes for carbines and rifles. Standard issue sights only.
Loading may be accomplished by any means deemed historical, which does include Breech Starting a bullet, Paper Cartridge with bullet integral, and muzzle loading. Point is esp. here, we may all really learn someting.
I like as many sighters as possibly needed, but I'm OK with whatever, and a 5 shot for score.
VERY IMPORTANT-group size should count for someting! With my carbine, the POA and POI varies a great deal at 50 yds., and depending upon the load used will vary at 100 as well, those NEI's shot a full 8" lower here, compared to my Buffalo Slug. My sight's 200 yd. notch is almost non-existant, I'll attack it carefully with a jewler's file I quess.
BP or any BP substitute should be fine.
Wiping whenever is fine, we could learn about each other's lubes, etc. from this.
Exact componets of the load would be listed.
My range is improvised, but I challenge anyone to check my yardages
Whew! I know I'm not done, see what others have to say.
Why would the BPCR fellows belittle this idea? Some if not most here do this as well I'd quess.
Respectfully, Gregg