'63 Postal Shoot

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Todd Birch

...gpin' postal...

Post by Todd Birch »

Looks like we got a match once we work out some of the details.

Being a Canuck, I'm not up to my armpits in NRA targets. I'd have to rely on some being sent to me.

50-100-200 - OK. Seems to me that the cloest distance ought to be the off hand, the 100 free style and 200, again free style. I'd like to see what I can do from both the bench and off hand at 200.

Or, that could be a separate match for those interested.

I think we should keep it simple and shoot for score, but recognize best groupings. Many rifles don't shoot true to sights but will group like a hot damn.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
HvyMtl

Postal Shoot

Post by HvyMtl »

50yds. off hand, 5 shots for score NRA competition B-6 target.
100 yds. freestyle ,10 shots for score NRA " S-1( no bench rests ).
200 yds. freestyle, 10 shots for score NRA " S-5( no bench rests ).
You can use sticks from a kneeling, standing, prone position, you can also shoot from any of these positions without the use of sticks. If you have a disability, or injury you can use what ever means you need to be able to compete ex. bench rest, etc.

I will find out what would be if any, a handicap for a heavey barrel.
I don't think there would be any handicap for a carbine vs. a rifle, but I will look into that also.

I can send Todd some targets.
Bob i'm puzzeled, are you limited to 100 yds. because of targets?

The above are only suggestions.

Ken
gmartin

Postal Shoot

Post by gmartin »

Ken,
I like Todd's idea of off hand at 50 yds. With time constrictions I would like to see what I could do from the bench at 100 yds., may have to decide in the future concerning 200 yards, ie., as to even attempt this.
I just don't have the range usually, and am developing loads to shoot best, period, this is taking some time. I quess everyone will make certain decisions for them selves once rules are finalized.
Ok, the first time will be fun and all will learn from it, both in shooting and administration for next year.
Let's keep the ideas flowing.
Gregg
HvyMtl

Postal Shoot

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi everyone

Sorry I haven't been around.

If any one person can't shoot over 100 yds., then I think we should limit it to 100 yds. This way everyone gets to compete, and we could always have another Postal shoot that is up to 200 yds down the road.

We could have a 50 yd. off hand & 100 yd. off hand and another 100 yd. from sticks.

Let me know what everybody thinks.

Ken
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Ken,

I'm limited to 100 yards because of range, just don't have anymore right now. Don't let that stop you guys from shooting at 200. It's quite possible that I can get to somewhere that 200+ is available but at this point in time 100 is it for me. I'm hung up through July at any rate. Y'all go ahead with what ever and I'll try to catch up.

Bob
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

OK guys,

The order for targets will go off this morning. All I need now is for the rain to let up. At least we're not flooding like Dallas/Ft. Worth........yet!

Bob
gmartin

'63 Postal Shoot

Post by gmartin »

To all,
Odd we've not had more people express interest. I as well may be limited to 100 yds., but like Bob said, don't let that stop anybody. I would like to see shoots at 50, 100 and 200 yds. How about free style at 100 and 200 plus bench at those ranges. I'm going to look for Ken's NRA sanctioned targets, and, if I can, get some for all if need be. Assuming we decide on them. Bob is making some, we can if need be, work with a variety of targets assuming a fair arbitrator(s) as in all of us?
Myself? Still playing with loads but can participate with what I've got most any time.
We can keep this simple as possible, and as informal, as in fun, as possible with concensus.
Gregg
OMD

Post by OMD »

Gregg,

The postal match sounds great, but I don't think my rifle qualifies for it anymore! I recently asked the folks at Shiloh to do some work on my rifle. It is now drilled and tapped for a tang sight and sports a DST. As such, it appears more like the New Model 1859 issued to Berdan's sharpshooters than the New Model 1863 issued to the Connecticut Volunteers. In fact, we might have to start a separate forum for model 1859s!

Take care,
Owen
HvyMtl

Postal shoot

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Owen

My Ped. 1859 54 cal. Sharps Berdan sniper rifle came with a long range tang sight. Don't worry about using yours, I don't think anyone will mind and if they do they will speak up. From what I understand it to be is a paper cartridge Postal Shoot and I have yet to roll my first cartridge. I will probably just drop the bullet in followed by the powder ( Gregg please don't cringe ) :lol: , I will get around to rolling cartridges, I promise.

Besides how do we know if anybody back then put a tang sight on an 1863, unless someone is still around that we could ask.

P.S. What is a DST?

P.P.S. If some people shoot up to 100 yds. and other people shoot up to 200 yds. it will be very hard to score.

Ken
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Hey guys,

My '63 sporter has DST (double set triggers) and is drilled for a tang sight so don't let that stop you from entering the fray. Howsoever being the Italian piece of crap it is the tang sight is so far out of alignment with the barrel it is useless right now.

Don't think not shooting one yardage should be a problem, we're not shooting for the gold. Just post a 50, 100, 200 & an aggregate. Those that don't shoot a yardage aggregate will be low, who cares, I don't. If that is a real problem I can fix it.

Bob
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

By the bye, if memory serves Sellers states that about the only difference between the '59 & the '63 was the stamp. Sometime in '63 the '59 stamp broke and Sharps made and new one with "New Model 1963." Jump on in, the waters fine.

Bob
HvyMtl

Warranty ?

Post by HvyMtl »

Hey Bob

My Ped. 1859 also has DST. Thats how it came new. If your having trouble with the tang sight, send it back and they will fix it. My whole barrel was not turned enough and the front and middle sight were both to the right of center. This rifle is an older gun and probably sat on the shelve due to this very problem. Me not knowing anything walked into a gun shop that we previously purchased pistols from saw it and fell in love (don't let my wife see this) and had to have it. I sent the rifle back to Navy Arms, and they asked me if I wanted a new one or if I wanted them to fix it? I felt I was destined to own that rifle, so I told them to fix it. All they had to do was turn the barrel a little bit. I also purcased this rifle for a song and this is what got me started on the BP adventure. If you've seen any of my previous posts you will know that up to 100yds. this gun does not miss.

How did I get started on this story anyway? Oh thats right send yours back they will probably be happy to fix it.

Ken
Todd Birch

'59 - '63

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey guys

The idea is to see what's possible with a percussion Sharps rifle - period.
Sporter, military, hybrid, whatever.

Your rifle's got a tang sight? Great! Double set triggers, even better. It had better be good to beat the single trigger on my Farmingdale!

On page 212 of Venturino's "Shoting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West", there is a picture of a hunter with a Sharps Military Rifle, issue sights. Venturino states that they never came from the factory drilled and tapped for tang sights.
On page 262 of the same book, there is a photo of an Indian with a Military Rifle equipped with a tang sight! Never say never when it comes to what was on or was not on a Sharps rifle.

Now I'm gonna put one on my .50-70 '74 (factory drilled and tapped), but lucky for you, not on my '63. It shoots good enough for me to 200 yards with the issue sights.

We're all gonna learn a few things and hopefully have fun in the process. If that doesn't happen, I'm out of it!

But, now I'm busy packing up for a Cowboy Action match over our holiday long weekend. Happy Birthday, Canada!

"True north, strong and free....", as long as we don't piss off the good ol' US of A.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
gmartin

Postal Shoot

Post by gmartin »

Owen, Ken, heck, all of you,
DST, tang sight, GREAT! Like Todd said, were out here to learn some things. Therefore, posted with each target, should be the load particulars (even if all you did was dump in powder, uh, who ever, at least let me know the powder, well, Clean Shot), the sights, etc.
And this would be with whatever class you choose to shoot.
Which we need to finalize, but try to keep it simple.
If you are not a champ in the aggregate, so what, I still believe we are here to learn from one another.
And that bug a boo of targets. Todd thought of an idea whereby groups from various ranges would be superimposed upon a master target, if I got it correctly, and each individuals group size would therfore account for something as well. Hope I didn't screw up the Idea as he discussed it.
With the tough to adjust for elevation Lawrence sight as on military types this would be important to me.
For your information, so you all know whose clock will be cleaned badly, my carbine gave me a 100 yd.bench group the other day of 3 1/2" h X 1 3/4" v with my Buffalo slug and 60 grns. 2fg. Goex in a Sub Way type paper cartridge, 5 shot group. I nearly replicated it several X
By the time I shoot for score, this at least gives me something to hold onto and improve upon.
Best, Gregg (sorry for grammer, spelling today)
HvyMtl

Postal Shoot

Post by HvyMtl »

OK, so then everyone who wants to compete with a paper cartridge rifle is in. Does'nt matter if it has a heavey barrel, tang sights, double set triggers, etc. Does'nt matter which way I (oops) we load it.

I have a BP match this weekend I will get some other info. and try to start finalizing the postal shoot with all of you by next week.

Ken