Shiloh '63 Military Rifle in "Shoot!" magazine

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Todd Birch

Shiloh '63 Military Rifle in "Shoot!" magazine

Post by Todd Birch »

Gentlemen

My favourite rifle is the cover story on the July/August issue of "Shoot!" magazine!

The author (Kenny Durham) found his rifle to be unexpectedly accurate out to 200 yards and problem free. Being in .54 calibre, he found recoil noticeable with some loads. Mine is a .50 and very manageable for a lightweight like me.

Apparently the qualifying distance set for Berdan's Sharpshooters was 200 yards where the rifles seem to perform very well. Good enough for me. I won't shoot a game animal beyond that with any rifle.

I was recently at a Cowboy Action Shoot and won the Long Range Buffalo Shoot at 285 yards. I had my '63 with me but for the sake of 5 rounds opted to shoot my Browning '86 .45-70 with smokeless loads (blush....) so I wouldn't have to clean the '63.

Now I wish I had used the '63!

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

Hi Todd
Thanks for the heads up on the article, of course I had to go out and get a copy.I think if one wanted to compete with a 63 one would do quite well.To get the best results though I trhink the way to go would be witha 63 sporter with a 32 inch barrel, tang sight ,globe front sight, and a shotgun style buttstock to help with recoil.The double set triggers would be an assest too.In my opinion one in 45 cal would be ideal because of the huge variety in bullet designs.I had a 63 military rifle in 45 and it was very accurate.It would be nice if someone started organizing a shoot for 63 sharps only and that it would take off like the 74 Sharps competitions.

Jeff
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
Todd Birch

'63 shoot

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Amigo

Some of us have been kicking over the idea of a '63 postal shoot - amongst friends. Check back on the site.

I wouldn't want to see it be another BPCR event as it would event turn into the equipment race that the cartridge guys are in. Lets keep it pure and simple.

Besides, the calendar is just too full any way.

I turned down a friend's '63 Farmingdale Military Carbine in .45. It was the most ungainly, ill balanced, awkward rifle I've ever handled! I had thought it would suit my lady but she vetoed it right off.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"

Post by Guest »

Read the article yesterday, lots of good pictures too.
Rabert

Post by Rabert »

Could possibly someone please scan this article and e-mail it to me to rabert@web.de?

Best regards

Rabert
Todd Birch

Article on '63

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Rabert

I'll dig it out and scan it to you.

Some of us recently enjoyed a postal shoot with '63's out to 200 yards.
We had the full gamut - carbine, Military Rifle and Sporters.

The rules were loose as to sights, powder (I used Pyro pellets rolled into a paper cartridge), etc. We shot off hand at 50, free-style at 100 and 200; X-sticks, prone, but not from the bench.
We all used the same NRA targets and scanned them for score and tabulation.

We were all surprised by what the '63 could do and I think we'll do it again.

Todd
Rabert

Post by Rabert »

I'll dig it out and scan it to you.
Thank you very much, Todd! :D
We were all surprised by what the '63 could do and I think we'll do it again.
When I find an applicable shooting range nearby and have my own Sharps rifle by then, I would be glad to attent. Then this all would become an international postal shooting event 8) !

Best regards

Rabert
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Rabert

It will be later today when I scan it to you.

Re: the Postal Shoot - the idea was a simple shoot amongst like minded individuals.
We didn't want it to expand beyond that into the equipment race of BPCR silhouette shooting.
The next time we do it, we may shoot under the qualifying conditions of the original Berdan Sharpshooters.

It's getting rather cold here for that right now, and many of us are out hunting.

Todd
Rabert

Post by Rabert »

Thanks to Todd for mailing the article to me! I did receive it this morning. :D

Best regards

Rabert
Kenny KID Durham

Post by Kenny KID Durham »

Rabert,
Since you are half way around the world, if you would like a copy of the magazine with the article, I'd be happy to see that you get one. Email your address to me at KIDDurham@shootmagazine.com

Regards,
Kenny Durham
Todd Birch

Article on '63 Military

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Kenny Kid

I'd like to compliment "Shoot" magazine on their fine articles, particularly the one in question, on the '63 Sharps Military Rifle.

Several friends with '63s learned more about their rifles from that article than from many other sources.

My copy is getting shop worn from scanning it to people like Rabert in Germany. So, if you're offering......

Regards, Todd
Kenny KID Durham

Post by Kenny KID Durham »

Todd,
Thanks for the kind words! Be glad to send you one too. I'm leaving early in the morning for the AZ Stata BPCRS match so it will be a week before I get them mailed. Just need your address.

Kenny

History

Post by Guest »

Hey Amigo
I believe that this is an event that should be noted in the history books.