Tang sight on 63 and possible addition of double set trigger

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
dm3280

Tang sight on 63 and possible addition of double set trigger

Post by dm3280 »

I also read the article in "Shoot" and was very curious if anyone uses a tang sight on theirs? If so, how does it work with the front sight, any problems?

I was also wondering about the double set triggers. I have the rifle version and the more I think about it the better I like the idea of double set triggers. Can they be added to my rifle and if so is that something where I would need to send it back to the factory?
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

dm3280,
Sir, others have these installed on both Shiloh rifles and a neat Berdan type by Navy Arms. Historically, outside of the Berdan and Sporting models, I don't believe they were available. I know of some folks who have had varied success with the Tang sight. Myself, I'd end up shooting birds by accident with a DST. My quess is that your rifle would have to be sent back to the shop for the DST. My before I die percussion Sharps (after aquiring a rifle to accompany my carbine,) would be one in .44, 28" heavy round barrel, tapped for an aperature sight, pewter capped for end, and not DST, just a light trigger.
Good luck with your question.
Gregg
OMD

Post by OMD »

Hello DM3280,

This past year Shiloh installed DSTs on both my Model 1863 and 1874 military rifles. The rifles came back from the factory looking great and functioning perfectly.

The 1863 is a Farmingdale Sharps and Shiloh drilled and tapped the tang for me. I currently have an old Riflesmith tang sight on the 1874 which I plan to replace with a MVA Soule (Schuetzen) sight. I'll then place the riflesmith on the 1863.

I plan to hunt with the 1874 this fall. The 1863 is primarily a fun gun -- I'm pretty sure that it's not legal for hunting in Nevada.

Good Luck,
Owen