1863 Brass Cases by Buffalo Arms

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
HvyMtl

Cleaning BP

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi guys,

It takes me less time to clean the Ped. 1859 and the Farmer. 1863 than does to lube them? I now use the same technique on the 45/70's and on the brass. It takes less than one minute and the barrels are so shiney it will make you squint when you put them to light ! I also on occasion use a tooth brush. So how do I do it, it would be fun to watch everyone venture a guess but I think some would also get upset and not look at it as funny. Now you must understand something first, I am only shooting BP a very short time and am still in the learning stages pretty much a true novice, and the way I figured this cleaning method out was mostly because I am lazy. So here it is, I use a steamer! You know like the ones you see on TV, they come with all kinds of different attachments some fit real nice right up into the barrel and some fit the nipple real good, it makes short work of BP fouling.

Now I hope I don't start getting all sorts of negative replies because I am using a Modern device on nostalgic replica weapons because I also use this cleaning method on my T.C. Encore inline ML.

Ken
DR308

Post by DR308 »

:D Hey: Thats a great idea!! Can't see anything wrong with that, if it works, use it. --------- Jerry
#3 Sporter-45/70-32" Heavy Half bbl-Bone Pack Hardening-Set Triggers-Semi Fancy Wood-Steel Butt Plate-Pewter Foretip.
Saddle Rifle-45/90,"OLD RELIABLE"
Life Member NRA-"85" Member NRA since "66"
Life Member DAV - "69"
BOLD #664
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Ken,

The steamer has no effect on the wood?

Rich
DR308

Post by DR308 »

Sounds like he is just using it on the inside of the barrel. ----- Jerry
#3 Sporter-45/70-32" Heavy Half bbl-Bone Pack Hardening-Set Triggers-Semi Fancy Wood-Steel Butt Plate-Pewter Foretip.
Saddle Rifle-45/90,"OLD RELIABLE"
Life Member NRA-"85" Member NRA since "66"
Life Member DAV - "69"
BOLD #664
HvyMtl

Cleaning BP

Post by HvyMtl »

I don't let it hit the wood, i'm sure it would effect the wood if you hit it with the steam because the metal gets pretty hot. the 45/70's are real easy because on my rifles all of the fouling stays in front of the cartridge, so all I have to do is remove the block just hit the barrel and wipe and lube everything else up. On the 59 and 63 I do take the block out and steam it down but I don't take the nippel or the cleanout screw out anymore, I put the tip of the steamer on the nipple and it shoots out the flash hole, I used to take them apart after I steamed it but there was never any fouling inside. Both the 59 and the 63 are 3 banders so when I do the barrel from the breech end I hold the rifle on a slant with the muzzle end in a pot with a towel and the stock I hold up with the forarm and trigger are facing the ceiling I also hit the reciever where the block slides up and down, this is where I use the tooth brush. By holding the rifle this way if you screw up and it doesen't shoot where its supposed to it just runs down the top side of the barrel and does not go on the wood. It dries really fast but I wipe everything down anyway just to make sure.

P.S. I do take the plate off the 63 Shiloh and steam and wipe down and then lube it. The 59 Ped. doesn't have this.

P.P.S. Sorry , I also have used this on my traditional muzzle loader, works great ( now I know i'm gonna get hate mail ).

Ken
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

It is your shooter. Shot what ever you want, when you want, just shoot.

Bob
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Back to the question,
Craig, you said it better and more concise than I.
As well, I don't mind, and I've said this elsewhere before, that I don't mind cleaning my Shiloh '63 carbine. I even feel privilaged. But we are talking mine, don't offer me yours to clean.
Don't mind making cartridges, fun to experiment, and though my '63 pals know I have problems casting a certain bullet, that as well is fine and part of it.
My shot again, Gregg
Todd Birch

Ammo for '63s

Post by Todd Birch »

Gentlemen

I just acquired copies of two great reference books on BP cartridges:

- RIFLE AMMUNITION (The Royal Arsenal, Woolwich - 1859) by Captain Arthur Hawes ($9.95) Thomas Publications, Gettysburg, PA.

- CIVIL WAR BULLETS & CARTRIDGES by James and Dean Thomas ($9.95) Thomas Publicatins, Gettysburg, PA.

The latter has great photos of the ammunition used by both North and South to include ALL types and makers, domestic and imported.

What really caught my eye was the photos of the Sharps rounds that had a pellet of compressed BP either glued directly to the bullet or a paper, linen, silk or gauze wrapper rolled onto the bullet. The bases were either paper or the same material as the wrapper.
I thought I was looking at photos of my own Sharps '63 loads made up of a bullet wrapped with a .54 calibre 60 gr. Pyrodex pellet!

When I was getting flak from '74 shooters for my non-historic ammo (you know, the guys who shoot 'hot rodded' BP cartridges in rifles with fast twist barrels, mercury tube recoil reducers, etc.), I said that if I could get compressed pellets of BP, I'd use them.

Well, I still can't get that, but in the meantime, my Pyro pellet loads look, load and shoot like Civil War ammo. That's good enough for me!

The other book is the most comprehensive read I've got on the history and development of the paper cartridge for the Enfield rifle. It also covers paper rounds for the .58 calibre Sharps rifles the Brits were testing for adoption.

TB
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"