Help Found for Cartridge Making

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Maybe this will help someone.
But I am also sure it's old hat to others. I used to spend untold hours with a clip board and razor slicing individual rectangles from measured paper, or, at best, using a paper cutter at work, to manufacture my cartridges. Today I visited a nearby print shop with my three templates hoping at least for copies and a paper cutter. Instead the man took me back inside and demonstrated how his electronic cutter could make untold number of individual sizes, exactly so, with any size and composition of paper I desired. Using my templates, two for a flat based bullet and one for a ring tail, he surrounded the said paper with thick post board, measured it, and cut with absolute precision the number I desired. For free. He told me in response to my question that during the 1860's a similar machine was used, powered by a fly wheel. I would leave valuable appendages in his position so I espesially value this mans careful work.
I know where I am doing this procedure next! (in like a thousand years now)
Gregg

Best, Gregg
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Gregg,

Good information. What type paper did you have cut? Are you then going to nitrate the paper?

Rich
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Rich,
I used that tracing paper, 100 percent cotton Vellum brand, for the ring tail used on an NEI bullet, and a flat based bullet (Shiloh's Buffalo Slug), and also Sub Way paper cut longer for same bullet. The basic cartridge design was yours for the ring tail and Terry Behm's for the other. Thanks to Terry's recommendation I have not been nitrating any paper lately. A visual inspection plus the blow tube results from alot of recent shooting have led me to such heretical leanings. So long as one provides the paper it seems a charge would be minimal. Actually this was a neat process. Of course the base was nitrated, but it alone, I should have said.
Best, Gregg
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Gregg,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the base was nitrated. Did you nitrate the paper and then cut it?

Rich
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Rich,
Ah, maybe both designs were Terry's, a nitrated circular (in my case) piece is inserted ito the cartridge tube not quite to the base with a dowel, glue applied to edge remaining and the paper pushed to form the base and the dowel removed. I use nitrated Sub Way type for the base as it stands alot of abuse.
Hope that explains this, Gregg
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Thanks Gregg, It answers my question.

Rich